Nov. 14, 2013
- The Vols have won 21 straight home-openers and are 24-2 in home-openers at Thompson-Boling Arena, which opened Dec. 3, 1987.
- Tennessee's average attendance for home-openers at Thompson-Boling Arena is 17,229. The Vols drew 18,044 for last year's opener vs. Kennesaw State.
- Tennessee looks to avoid its first 0-2 start since 1965-66, when coach Ray Mears' Vols fell to Michigan (on the road) and Vanderbilt to begin the year.
- UT is riding a 14-game win streak against schools located in the state of South Carolina, and the Vols own an 80-30 all-time record against teams from the Palmetto State.
- Tennessee senior Jeronne Maymon has 18 offensive rebounds in his last three games played, dating to the end of the 2011-12 season.
- Junior wing Josh Richardson shot 3-of-4 from 3-point range en route to 13 points in Tuesday's season-opener at Xavier. He averaged 2.9 ppg as a freshman and 7.9 ppg a year ago.
- All five Tennessee newcomers saw action in Tuesday's opener. The five combined for 12 points, nine rebounds, four assists and just two turnovers in 66 collective minutes.
- Founded in 1967 in Spartanburg, S.C., USC Upstate (formerly South Carolina-Spartanburg) has an enrollment of 5,500. The Spartans went 16-17 (9-9 A-Sun) last season and were picked to finish third in Atlantic Sun this season by both the media and the league's coaches.
- Head coach Eddie Payne is in his 12th season at USC Upstate; this is his 29th season as a head coach.
- Eddie Payne played at Wake Forest in the early 1970s and has been a head coach at all five levels of college hoops (juco, NAIA, Division I, II and III).
- Spartans junior guard Ty Greene is a Knoxville native who graduated from Bearden High School in 2011 after earning All-State honors.
- Greene ranked in the top 15 in the A-Sun in six statistical categories as a sophomore last season.
- Upstate already defeated a "major" conference opponent on the road this season, beating Virginia Tech 64-63 in Blacksburg Nov. 9.
Complete Game Notes