Nov. 16, 2012
- The Vols swept a home-and-home series with UMass in 2003 and 2004 - the only meetings in the series. Current Brooklyn Nets guard C.J. Watson totaled 20 points and 11 assists for UT in the two wins.
- Last season, UMass went 25-11 and advanced to the semifinals of both the Atlantic 10 Championship and the NIT. The Minutemen finished tied for fifth in the Atlantic 10 after being picked 12th in the preseason.
- Leading the way was Chaz Williams, who averaged 16.9 points, 6.2 assists and 4.4 rebounds per game and was named first-team All-Atlantic 10 and NABC All-District. He set UMass sophomore records for assists (231) and steals (81).
- Head coach Derek Kellogg is in his fifth year leading his alma mater. The 1995 UMass graduate returned for his first head coaching job after serving as an assistant coach for 12 years, the last eight at Memphis under former UMass head coach John Calipari.
- Kellogg, who was recruited by and played for Calipari at UMass, was teammates with current Auburn head coach Tony Barbee in Amherst.
- Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin and UMass head coach Derek Kellogg both played their college ball from 1992-95; Martin played at Purdue, while Kellogg played at UMass.
- The Boilermakers and Minutemen never squared off during Martin's and Kellogg's collegiate careers.
- Kellogg finished his career with 712 career points. Martin scored 1,666 points during his career.
- Just as he did during the second half of last season, junior wing Jordan McRae has provided an offensive boost off the bench through three games for Tennessee.
- McRae ranks second on the team with 11.0 points per game, and he is shooting a team-leading .556 (5-for-9) from 3-point range.
- The Midway, Ga., native came off the bench to score in double figures in six of UT's last 14 games last season.
- With its top returning rebounder, Jeronne Maymon, out with a knee injury, Tennessee has been neutralized on the boards.
- Maymon was fifth in the SEC with 8.1 rpg last season (including 3.0 offensive rpg).