Nov. 19, 2011
- This is Tennessee's second all-time appearance in the EA SPORTS Maui Invitational. In 2004, the Vols beat Stanford before falling to North Carolina and Texas en route to a fourth-place finish.
- After playing a 7 p.m. ET home game Wednesday, Tennessee departed for Maui Thursday morning-- in three groups, the first of which lifted off at 6:27 a.m. ET--and convened at the team hotel at 4 a.m. ET Thursday night (total travel time for the group was approximately 21.5 hours).
- Tennessee is 4-10 all-time against the sixth-ranked team in the AP poll. Coincidentally, UT's last game against the nation's sixth-ranked team came against Cuonzo Martin's alma mater, Purdue, in the championship game of the 2010 Paradise Jam in St. Thomas (Purdue won, 73-72).
- Sophomore point guard Trae Golden has scored 46 points in Tennessee's two games this season, and his 20 total assists have directly resulted in 49 more points. So in total, Golden has played a direct role in 95 of the Vols' 177 points this season. That's a staggering 53.7 percent.
- A different Vol has drained five 3-pointers in each of Tennessee's game so far this season. Trae Golden sank five treys vs. UNC Greensboro, and Skylar McBee made five against ULM Wednesday.
- Through the games of Thursday, Nov. 17, Tennessee's 20.5 assists per game ranked tied for 12th nationally. And the Vols' .530 field-goal percentage ranked 19th in the country.
- Duke is 13-0 all-time in the Maui Invitational, having won in the event in 1992, 1997, 2001 and 2007.
- The Vols will play at least 11 games (possibly more, depending on how Maui unfolds) against teams in the top 20 of this week's AP poll.
The Duke Series
- This clash with the Blue Devils serves as a tiebreaker of sorts for both programs, as the all-time series is deadlocked at 7-7, dating to the first meeting 100 years ago (Duke defeated the Vols 48-25 in Durham on Feb. 20, 1911) ... The programs have not met since UT posted a 90-69 win at the Sugar Bowl Classic in New Orleans, La., on Dec. 29, 1980 ... Tennessee is 92-76 all-time against current members of the Atlantic Coast Conference (69 games against former SEC member Georgia Tech).
Martin 1-1 Against The Blue Devils
- Cuonzo Martin has crossed path with the Duke Blue Devils twice previously, and he is 1-1 ... As a junior at Purdue in 1994, Martin made a schoolrecord eight 3-pointers against Kansas in the Sweet Sixteen (interestingly, that game was played at Tennessee's Thompson-Boling Arena) to help power the Boilermakers into an Elite Eight showdown with Duke in Knoxville ... The Blue Devils posted a 69-60 win ... Later, during Martin's tenure as an assistant coach under his mentor, Gene Keady, at Purdue, the Boilermakers defeated No. 2 Duke 78-68 in the 2003 Great Alaska Shootout.
Vols Have Fared Well vs. Top-10 Teams
- In just the last four seasons, UT has played 11 games against teams ranked in the AP top 10; the Vols are 6-5 in those games ... That includes wins at No. 3 Pitt (12/11/10), a neutral-site win over No. 7 Villanova (11/26/10), a neutral-site NCAA Tournament win over No. 5 Ohio State (3/26/10; to advance to the Elite Eight), home wins over No. 2 Kentucky (2/27/10) and top-ranked Kansas (1/10/10) and a road win at No. 1 Memphis (2/23/08).