- Oakland University, located in Rochester, Mich., has beaten Tennessee each of the last two seasons. Those are the only meetings in the series. The Golden Grizzlies posted an 89-82 win in Knoxville on Dec. 14, 2010, and defeated UT 89-81 last season in the Great Lake State.
- Head coach Greg Kampe is in his 29th season at Oakland. Last Saturday, OU led by as many as 18 points at Pittsburgh before falling in overtime. Oakland lost at Michigan State 70-52 Friday.
- Cuonzo Martin was teammates with Oakland assistant coach Saddi Washington with the Grand Rapids Hoops of the CBA in the late 1990s.
- The Grizzlies starters are accounting for approximately 85 percent of the team's scoring this season. Junior guard Travis Bader, considered one of the top shooters in college basketball, is Oakland's top scorer (17.2 ppg) and is averaging 3.7 3-pointers made per game and also is shooting 91 percent at the free-throw line.
- Oakland set a Summit League record with three postseason wins last year, as the Grizzlies made it to the 2012 CollegeInsider.com postseason tournament semifinals.
- When the Vols and Grizzlies met last season in Michigan, UT guard Jordan McRae scored a career-high-tying 25 points.