Nov. 28, 2012
- Tennessee is 2-1 in the five-year history of this event - initially known as the SEC/Big East Invitational. The Vols lost at home to Pit last season after beating third-ranked Pitt two years ago in Pitssburgh, Pa. UT's only other previous appearance in the event resulted in an 80-68 win over 24th-ranked Marquette in Nashville, Tenn., in 2009 (UT was not in the event in 2010).
- Tennessee's all-time top scoring performances vs. Georgetown: Tyler Smith 21, Ron Slay 17, Cameron Tatum 17, Bobby Maze 14.
- Cuonzo Martin was teammates with Georgetown's assistant coach Kenya Hunter at New Hampton (N.H.) Prep School in 1990.
- Both previous meetings in this series took place in the last 10 years. In the first round of the 2003 NIT, the Vols hosted Georgetown, and the Hoyas advanced with a 70-60 victory. 12th-ranked Tennessee evented the series at the 2008 Old Spice Classic in Orlando, Fla., defeating the 21st-ranked Hoyas 90-78 in the semifinals.
- Georgetown is 18-1 in home games dating to the start of last season.
- Head coach John Thompson III is in his eighth season at Georgetown. The Hoyas return two starters and nine lettermen from last season's 24-9 (12-6 Big East) squad, which reached the third round of the NCAA Tournament.