Nov. 30, 2011
- Tennessee is undefeated in the four-year history of this event--previously known as the SEC/Big East Invitational. The Vols beat Pitt last season in Pittsburgh, Pa., and UT's only other previous appearance in the event resulted in an 80-68 win over 24th-ranked Marquette in Nashville, Tenn., in 2009.
- The Vols shocked third-ranked Pitt at the CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pa., last season. It was the Panthers' first non-conference loss in their home city in nearly six years.
- Pitt senior Ashton Gibbs, a National Player of the Year candidate, played for USA Basketball's 2011 Men's World University Games Team, which competed in Shenzen, China, in August. Cuonzo Martin was an assistant coach on that squad, which earned a fifth-place finish. Gibbs started five of the team's eight games in China and ranked third on the team with 11.6 ppg.
- Beginning with the Pitt game, the Volunteers are entering a stretch of games during which six of seven contests will be played at home in Thompson-Boling Arena. The Dec. 14 game at College of Charleston is UT's only game away from Rocky Top during the month of December.
- Only once in the last seven years has Tennessee shot better than 70 percent at the free-throw line (.701 in 2005-06). The Vols are shooting .745 at the charity stripe so far this season.
- Tennessee players are responsible for the top two individual scoring performances by SEC players so far this season. Jeronne Maymon scored 32 points vs. No. 8 Memphis (11/22/11), and Trae Golden dropped 29 points on UNC Greensboro (11/11/11).
- Three different Vols--Jordan McRae (15-30), Cameron Tatum (11-22) and Skylar McBee (10- 20)--are shooting exactly 50 percent from 3-point range this season. As a team, Tennessee owns a .435 shooting percentage from beyond the arc.
- Through the games of Nov. 28, the Vols lead the SEC in 3-point percentage (.435; 17th nationally) and rank second in the league in scoring (84.7 ppg; 12th nationally) and free-throw percentage (.745).
The Pitt Series
- Tennessee holds a 4-1 all-time advantage in headto- head meetings with Pitt, dating to 1961 ... The first two games in the series were played on neutral courts, with Tennessee winning 84-83 in Evansville, Ind., in 1962 and Pitt taking a 55-54 decision at the 1981 Far West Classic in Portland, Ore. ... The Vols won both games of a home-and-home series from 1998-99 ... UT posted a 56-53 win in Knoxville on Dec. 6, 1998, and then logged a 76-50 victory at Pitt on Dec. 4, 1999 ... The 1998 game was current UCLA coach Ben Howland's fifth game as Pitt's head coach, and Jamie Dixon was in his first year as a Pitt assistant ... Interestingly, all games in this series have been contested during the month of December, and three of the games were decided by three points or less ... The Big Orange own a 39-42 all-time record against current members of the Big East and have won five of their last six games against Big East opposition ...
On This Date: Dec. 3
- Tennessee is 16-2 all-time on Dec. 3 and is riding a six-game win streak on this date ... The Vols' last game on this date was an 87-69 win over UNC Asheville in Knoxville in 2008.
Miller A Former Panther
- First-year Vol Dwight Miller, a forward from Nassau, Bahamas, spent his first two collegiate seasons at Pitt ... Miller redshirted in 2008-09 before playing in 16 games off the bench in 2009-10 ... Miller attended Midland (Texas) College last year before enrolling at Tennessee this summer ... He sang at Pitt assistant coach Brandin Knight's wedding (he sang Jamie Foxx's Wedding Song).