Dec. 8, 2011
- A pair of Austin Peay players--forwards Will Triggs and Anthony Campbell--hail from the same hometown as UT assistant coach Jon Harris (Edwardsville, Ill.). All three attended Edwardsville High School. Harris went on to play at Marquette.
- Vols forward Dwight Miller and Govs guard TyShawn Edmondson both played one season at Midland College in Texas before transferring to Tennessee and Austin Peay, respectively. Edmondson helped lead the Chaps to a 29-3 record in 2009-10. And Miller led Midland to the NJCAA national title game last season.
- Only once in the last seven years has Tennessee shot better than 70 percent at the free-throw line (.701 in 2005-06). The Vols are shooting .745 at the charity stripe so far this season.
- Beginning with the Pitt game on Dec. 3, the Volunteers entered a stretch of games during which six of seven contests will be played at home in Thompson-Boling Arena. The Dec. 14 game at College of Charleston is UT's only game away from Rocky Top during the month of December.
- Senior guard Cameron Tatum participated in graduation ceremonies Friday. The Lithonia, Ga., native earned his degree in Africana Studies.
- Through seven games, Tennessee already has faced three Associated Press top-20 teams.
- Through the games of Dec. 4, the Vols lead the SEC in 3-point percentage (.421; 26th nationally) and rank tied for third in the league in scoring (80.6 ppg; 12th nationally) and second in free-throw percentage (.745).
- True freshman backup point guard Wes Washpun is riding a streak of 75 minutes played without a turnover (spans five games, three against top-20 teams).
The Austin Peay Series
- Tennessee leads the all-time series with the Governors 8-0, dating to 1940 ... UT's all-time record against current members of the Ohio Valley Conference is an impressive 45-1 ... As a head coach, Cuonzo Martin is 3-0 vs. OVC opposition ... All but one of UT's meetings with Austin Peay have taken place in Knoxville; the lone exception is a narrow 71-69 Tennessee win in the 1989 Mid-South Classic in Memphis ... The most recent meeting was an 83-54 UT home win in the 2009-10 season-opener (11/13/09) ... Three of the four most recent clashes have been decided by 10 or more points.
Volunteers Dominant On State Circuit
- Tennessee State is the only Division I basketball program in the state the Volunteers have not faced since the 2005-06 season ... Over the past six years, the Vols have played--and beaten--every in-state Division I team except the Tigers ... Those schools include Austin Peay, Belmont, Chattanooga, ETSU, Lipscomb, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, UT Martin and Vanderbilt ... Dating to 2005-06, UT is 30-7 (.811) against in-state Division I teams.
On This Date: Dec. 10
- Tennessee is 9-5 all-time on Dec. 10 and is riding a one-game win streak on this date ... The Vols' last game on this date was a 78-77 home win over Middle Tennessee in 1999.