Dec. 10, 2013
- Wichita State is ranked No. 12 in the current Associated Press poll while occupying the No. 8 spot in the USA TODAY coaches' poll. The Shockers are off to a 9-0 start this season.
- A Final Four team last year, the Shockers were unanimously picked to win the Missouri Valley Conference championship this season.
- Wichita State outscores its opponents by 18.1 ppg while out-rebounding its opposition by 8.3 rpg.
- With a scoring average of 15.3 ppg, Ron Baker leads four Shockers starters who average more than 10.0 ppg.
- This marks the fourth straight season that Wichita State has hosted a game at INTRUST Bank Arena (capacity 15,000), defeating Tulsa, UAB and Southern Miss at this venue the last three years, respectively.
- WSU typically plays its home games at its on-campus facility, Charles Koch Arena (capacity 10,512).
- This is the second of just five December games for the Vols. Four of those contests take place in Knoxville. This is the lone road game.
- Vols senior Jordan McRae needs just 21 points to become the 45th member of Tennessee's 1,000-Point Club. With 979 career points, he is the SEC's third-leading active scorer.
- Junior forward Jarnell Stokes is riding a streak of four straight double-doubles, and he averages a double-double this season with 14.9 points and 10.0 rebounds per game. His 23 career double-doubles are the most among active players in the SEC.
- Tennessee's 9.3 turnovers per game are the fewest among SEC teams.
- Tennessee is 0-1 all-time in games played in the state of Kansas. The Vols' lone trip to the state resulted in a 92-85 loss to the Kansas Jayhawks in Lawrence, Kan., on Jan. 3, 2009.
- Wichita State leads the all-time series with Tennessee 2-1.
- During Cuonzo Martin's three-year stint as head coach at Missouri State (2009-11), he faced Gregg Marshall's Shockers twice each season. The Bears also faced WSU in the 2009 and 2010 MVC Tournaments. Marshall owns a 5-4 edge in head-to-head meetings with Martin.
- First-year Wichita State assistant coach Steve Forbes spent five seasons as an assistant coach at Tennessee (2006-2011).
- When these programs met last season, the Shockers entered the game with a 9-0 record, and the Vols dealt them their first loss of the year. WSU has never started a season 10-0.
- WSU associate athletics director Darron Boatright announced Wednesday that Saturday's game is expected to set an INTRUST Bank Arena attendance record.
Complete Game Notes