Dec. 12, 2011
- Senior guard Cameron Tatum participated in graduation ceremonies on Dec. 9 in Thompson- Boling Arena. The Lithonia, Ga., native earned his degree in Africana Studies. Since December 2009, 10 Tennessee basketball players have earned their degrees.
- Bobby Cremins' 30 previous seasons as a head coach include stints at Appalachian State (1976-81), Georgia Tech (1982-2000) and College of Charleston (2007-present). Surprisingly, however, he has only faced Tennessee twice (each of the last two seasons).
- Cremins did face the Vols once during his collegiate playing days as a point guard at South Carolina. His No. 1-ranked Gamecocks were upset by Tennessee 55-54 in Columbia, S.C., on Dec. 6, 1969.
- Through eight games, Tennessee already has faced three Associated Press top-20 teams.
- The Cougars' top scorer, senior Antwaine Wiggins, is a graduate of Greeneville High School in Greeneville, Tenn., which is located about 75 miles northeast of Knoxville.
- Charleston forces an average of 15.2 turnovers per game. Valuing the basketball will be key for the Vols, who allowed 27 points off 18 turnovers in Saturday's loss to Austin Peay. Tennessee averages 13.0 turnovers per game this season.
- Beginning with the Pitt game on Dec. 3, the Volunteers entered a stretch of games during which six of seven contests will be played at home in Thompson-Boling Arena. The Dec. 14 game at College of Charleston is UT's only game away from Rocky Top during the month of December.
- Only once in the last seven years has Tennessee shot better than 70 percent at the free-throw line (.701 in 2005-06). The Vols are shooting .727 at the charity stripe so far this season.
The Charleston Series
- The Volunteers trail the all-time series with the Cougars 1-2 after Bobby Cremins' squad posted a 91-78 win last season in Knoxville ... The Cougars also defeated Tennessee in a low-scoring 55-49 affair on March 13, 1996, knocking UT out of the NIT in the first round ... Damon Johnson grabbed 18 rebounds in that game for the Vols ... The Vols are 71-8 all-time against current members of the Southern Conference ... Cuonzo Martin is 1-0 as a head coach against the Southern Conference (a win over The Citadel).
On This Date: Dec. 14
- Tennessee is 11-1 all-time on Dec. 14 and owns a one-game losing streak on this date ... The Vols' last game on this date was an 89-82 home loss to Oakland (Mich.) last season.
Maymon, Hall Cleaning Offensive Glass
- Tennessee's starting frontcourt of Jeronne Maymon and Kenny Hall has combined for 47.1 percent of the team's offensive rebounds this season (48 of 102) ... Hall grabbed a career-high nine offensive boards against Austin Peay (12/10/11), and Maymon snagged nine offensive rebounds against eighth-ranked Memphis in Maui (11/22/11) ... UT ranks third in the SEC in rebounding defense, allowing only 33.2 rebounds per game.