Dec. 19, 2011
- The UNC Asheville game is one of eight contests on Tennessee's schedule against teams who were picked to win their respective conference championship this season.
- Jeronne Maymon has more offensive rebounds (13) than defensive rebounds (12) in UT's previous four home games, and he also is shooting .735 from the field at Thompson-Boling Arena.
- Skylar McBee is shooting .588 (10-17) from 3-point range at home this season.
- Senior guard Cameron Tatum participated in graduation ceremonies on Dec. 9 in Thompson- Boling Arena. The Lithonia, Ga., native earned his degree in Africana Studies. Since December 2009, 10 Tennessee basketball players have earned their degrees.
- Bulldogs senior guard J.P. Primm, has played against several Vols for the past few summers in the Pilot Rocky Top Summer League. This past summer, Primm and his UNC Asheville teammate, Josh Seligson, played on the same team as Vols forward Renaldo Woolridge and guard Brandon Lopez.
- Through the games of Dec. 19, the Vols are second the SEC in 3-point percentage (.389; 47th nationally), rebounding defense (32.9 rapg) and free-throw shooting (.725) and third in the league in scoring (77.7 ppg; 40th nationally).
- Only once in the last seven years has Tennessee shot better than 70 percent at the free-throw line (.701 in 2005-06). The Vols are shooting .725 at the charity stripe so far this season.
- Cuonzo Martin's teams are 14-2 when they score at least 80 points.
The UNC Asheville Series
- Tennessee leads the all-time series with UNC Asheville 7-0, dating to 1997 ... Eddie Biedenbach has been the Bulldogs' head coach for all of those meetings ... All meetings have taken place in Knoxville, and the Vols have been ranked in the top 20 for five of those seven games ... With the exception of a six-point win in the first-ever meeting (75-69 on Nov. 19, 1997), Tennessee has won every game in the series by a double-digit margin ... On average, UT outscores the Bulldogs by 25.3 ppg (88.0 to 62.7) ... When Tennessee defeated UNC Asheville 87-69 on Dec. 3, 2008, Vols forward Tyler Smith logged the first and only triple-double in program history (it was UT's 2,339th all-time varsity contest) ... In 26 minutes, Smith totaled 12 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists ... The most recent meeting in the series was a 124-49 Vols victory on Nov. 17, 2009 ... See the "Last Game" note below for details on all the records UT set that night ... Tennessee owns a 23-4 all-time record against current members of the Big South Conference.
On This Date: Dec. 20
- Tennessee is 22-12 all-time on Dec. 20 and owns a three-game win streak on this date ... The Vols' last game on this date was a 79-77 home victory over Belmont in 2008.
Miller Emerges Quietly
- Junior forward Dwight Miller has quietly emerged as Tennessee's top-producing newcomer ... The transfer from Midland (Texas) College averages 4.0 points and 2.2 rebounds while shooting .586 from the field in just 9.6 minutes per game off the bench ... He provided a huge boost off the bench Wednesday at College of Charleston, exploding for 13 points and seven rebounds (both season-highs) against the Cougars ... All of his points and six of his boards came in the first half at CofC.