Dec. 20, 2012
- This is the third contest of a six-game homestand for Tennessee that began Dec. 13 and stretches through Jan. 9. The Vols are 2-0.
- Friday's game is Tennessee's first chance to record the program's 300th all-time win at Thompson-Boling Arena, which opened for the 1987-88 season. UT is 4-0 at home this year.
- Vols point guard Trae Golden is the reigning SEC Player of the Week after scoring a season-high 25 points to lift UT past previously unbeaten and 23rd-ranked Wichita State last Thursday.
- Golden was named to the 2013 Bob Cousy Award watch list Thursday.
- UT senior forward Kenny Hall (hamstring strain) did not play Tuesday vs. Presbyterian.
- Tennessee leads the all-time series with Western Carolina 6-1, dating to 1987.
- The Vols and Catamounts have shared three common opponents this season -- Georgetown, UNC Asheville and Wichita State. Tennessee defeated Asheville and WSU; the Catamounts lost to all three opponents.
- WCU averages 71.9 ppg, but the Vols have not allowed more than 69 points all season.
- Catamounts forward Tom Tankelewicz made six 3-pointers in WCU's 81-68 loss at Georgetown Saturday en route to a career-high 24 points.
- This will be Western Carolina's 10th game away from home this season.
- The Southern Conference head coaches picked WCU to finish third in the league's North Division.
- Tennessee director of basketball operations Houston Fancher is very familiar with the Southern Conference, as he was the head coach at Appalachian State for nine seasons (2000-08).