Dec. 22, 2011
- Despite both schools' geographic location, the Tennessee and ETSU rosters combine to feature just five players from the East Tennessee region: UT's Galen Campbell, Brandon Lopez and Skylar McBee and ETSU's Todd Halvorsen (Kingsport) and Lester Wilson (Knoxville).
- Tennessee's scoring defense has been solid at home, as the Vols are allowing just 65.6 points per game this season at Thompson-Boling Arena.
- Jeronne Maymon leads the SEC in field-goal percentage (.605) while ranking second among league players in offensive rebounding (3.6 orpg) and fifth in total rebounding (8.4 rpg).
- Renaldo Woolridge's 48 points this season equal 25 percent of his total scoring from the previous three years. He scored a career-high 17 points on 7-of-12 shooting Tuesday vs. UNC Asheville.
- Through the games of Dec. 21, the Vols are second the SEC in 3-point percentage (.382), assists (15.2 apg) and free-throw shooting (.712) and third in the league in scoring (77.1 ppg; 45th nationally) and rebounding defense (32.9 rapg).
- Tennessee has outscored eight of its 10 opponents in the paint in this season.
- Senior guard Cameron Tatum has more career games with 10+ points than any other Vol has career starts (39).
- Bucs head coach Murry Bartow is the son of coach Gene Bartow, and he apprenticed under the legendary Bob Knight at Indiana (graduate assistant with the 1987 national championship team)
The ETSU Series
- Tennessee owns an 12-2 all-time record against ETSU, dating to 1945 ... UT is riding a six-game win streak in the series ... Interestingly, both of the Vols' losses to the Bucs came in Knoxville, as ETSU posted wins of 83-70 in 1989 and 87-79 in 1991 ... The Vols are 19-5 all-time against current members of the Atlantic Sun Conference ... Tennessee has scored at least 90 points in three of its last four meetings against the Buccaneers.
Volunteers Dominant On State Circuit
- Tennessee State is the only Division I basketball program in the state the Volunteers have not faced since the 2005-06 season ... Over the past six years, the Vols have played--and beaten--every in-state Division I team except the Tigers ... Those schools include Austin Peay, Belmont, Chattanooga, ETSU, Lipscomb, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, UT Martin and Vanderbilt ... Dating to 2005-06, UT is 30-8 (.789) against in-state Division I teams.
Golden Playing Through Broken Nose
- Point guard Trae Golden suffered a broken nose during a live practice drill Friday, Dec. 16 ... Freshman Wes Washpun hit Golden's nose with an elbow ... Golden missed just one day of practice before returning to action ... Surgery is tentatively set for Dec. 30, and Golden is not wearing a mask ... Cuonzo Martin experienced the same injury during his sophomore season at Purdue (missed no time, never had surgery).