Dec. 27, 2013
TENNESSEE vs. VIRGINIA
Dec. 30, 2013 | 7 p.m. ET
Thompson-Boling Arena | Knoxville, Tenn.
- Tony Bennett is in his fifth year as the head coach at Virginia. Bennett came to Charlottesville after spending the previous three seasons as the head coach at Washington State, where he was the 2007 National Coach of the Year.
- Cuonzo Martin was an assistant coach on the 2011 USA Basketball Men's World University Games National Team. Bennett was one of three "court coaches" who assisted during that team's training camp in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Vols forward Jarnell Stokes and Cavs big man Mike Tobey were teammates on the USA Basketball gold-medal-winning U19 National Team this past summer.
- Cavs senior Akil Mitchell joined Vols senior Jordan McRae at the LeBron James Skills Academy this past summer.
- This game features three players who appear on both the Wooden Award and Naismith Trophy watch lists: Tennessee's Jordan McRae and Jarnell Stokes and Virginia's Joe Harris.
- Only six teams in Division I average fewer turnovers per game than Tennessee (9.7 tpg).
- In UT's last two games, Jeronne Maymon is averaging 16.5 points, 12.0 rebounds (7.0 offensive rebounds) 1.5 assists and 2.0 blocks.
- Jarnell Stokes (9.6 rpg) and Jeronne Maymon (8.5 rpg) are the SEC's second- and third-leading rebounders, respectively. Maymon leads the SEC in offensive rebounding (4.2 orpg), while Stokes ranks second (4.0 orpg).
LAST SEASON vs. VIRGINIA
- The Tennessee men's basketball team came back from a 15-point deficit to pull within four points in the final minute, but Virginia made key free throws in the closing seconds to edge the Vols, 46-38, Dec. 5, 2012, in Charlottesville.
- Despite playing good defense, Tennessee struggled from the floor, shooting just 28.8 percent (15-of-52) in the loss.
- Neither team could find its stroke from downtown in the first half, as the Vols were 0-of-8 and the Cavs were 0-of-4 from beyond the arc.
- UT played strong first-half defense, limiting Virginia to just 39.3 percent shooting (11-of-28), but struggled offensively, hitting at just a 32 percent clip (8-of-25) while committing nine turnovers.
- Virginia was led by guard Joe Harris, who finished with 13 points.
LIKE MARTIN, BENNETT WAS A BALLER
- Virginia head coach Tony Bennett played for his father, Dick, at Wisconsin-Green Bay from 1989-92 and finished his career as the Mid-Continent Conference's all-time leader in career points (2,285) and assists (601).
- Tony Bennett was the 35th overall selection in the 1992 NBA Draft by the Charlotte Hornets and played with the team for three seasons.
- Three years later in 1995, Purdue standout Cuonzo Martin was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks.
Complete Game Notes