- A veteran of 27 years in college athletics, Vollmar is responsible for oversight of the Tennessee football program and is a member of the athletic department's executive staff
- He has been a part of 17 bowl games during his career while helping his teams to four conference titles and a national championship
- Comes to the Vols from Michigan, where he spent the last two years as the associate athletic director for football helping guide the Wolverines to back-to-back bowl appearances including a 2011 BCS Sugar Bowl Championship as Michigan finished the year with an 11-2 record
- Spent 2008-10 at Alabama where he oversaw the administration of the football program during a time in which the Crimson Tide went 36-5, won the 2009 BCS National Championship and SEC title and appeared in three consecutive bowl games
- Worked as an assistant athletic director and director of football operations at Michigan State from 1996-2007, overseeing all phases of the Spartan football program's operations while also managing construction of a new $12 million football facility
- The Spartans appeared in six bowl games during his tenure
- Prior to Michigan State, worked for five years at Syracuse (1991-95), during which time the Orangemen finished 41-15-1, won three bowl games in his five years ('92 Hall of Fame, '93 Fiesta, and '96 Gator Bowls) and captured the Lambert Trophy championship in 1992
- At Syracuse, Vollmar was responsible for oversight of recruiting and administration, and four players recruited during his tenure were named to the Syracuse All-Century Team (Donovan McNabb, Kevin Abrams, Donovan Darius, and Kevin Johnson)
- Began his career from 1988-90 with Michigan serving as assistant recruiting coordinator and in athletic administration under the late Bo Schembechler and Gary Moeller.
- During his Michigan tenure, the Wolverines went 28-7-1, winning three Big Ten Championships, with two Rose Bowl appearances and a Gator Bowl appearance
- Mike's father, James, was a running back at Michigan from 1956-58
- Earned a master's degree in sport management from the United States Sports Academy in 1999, where he was recently named Alumnus of the Year for 2010.
- Vollmar currently serves on the College Football Playoff National Championship Advisory Group, the Rose Bowl Advisory Committee, the AFCA National Committee for Directors of Football Operations and U.S. Sports Academy Alumni Board
- Received a bachelor's degree in history with a minor in speech communication from Siena Heights University in 1988, where he was a pole vaulter on the Saints track and field team
- A native of Riverview, Mich., Vollmar graduated from Riverview High School in 1983, the same school that produced former University of Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr, former Vanderbilt head coach Woody Widenhofer and former Colorado head coach Bill McCartney
- He and his wife, Tami, have a daughter, Bailey Lauren