THE GILLESPIE FILE
Hometown: Hattiesburg, Miss.
Children: Nola, Wynston
Tennessee, running backs/recruiting coordinator
Tennessee, running backs
West Virginia, running backs
Oklahoma State, running backs
South Carolina, running backs
South Carolina, graduate assistant
- Photo Gallery
- Named assistant head coach in addition to his titles of running backs coach and recruiting coordinator prior to the start of the 2016 season.
- Has been a part of teams that have appeared in 13 bowl games and two conference championships (as a player with Florida in 2000, as a coach with West Virginia in 2011)
- Coached in 10 bowl games, including the Music City (2016), Outback (2016, 2015 season), TaxSlayer (2015, 2014 season), Pinstripe (2012), Orange (2011), Alamo (2010), Cotton (2010, 2009 season), Outback (2009), Liberty (2006), and Independence (2005)
- Coached All-SEC RB Jalen Hurd (1,288 yards) to UT's 18th 1,000-yard season and UT's most rushing yards (2,908) since 1951
- In addition to running backs duties with the Vols, was promoted to recruiting coordinator on Feb. 6, 2015
- In his 11 seasons as a running backs coach, his teams are a combined 88-53 (.624 pct.)
- Has directed a rushing attack at UT that has scored a rushing TD in a school-record 28 straight games. Vols scored 31 times via the ground in 2016.
- Vols rushed for 2,668 yards in 2016, marking the first time since the 1992, 1993 and 1994 seasons that UT had topped 2,000 rushing yards in three-consecutive years.
- In 2016, Alvin Kamara scored a career-high 13 TDs in 11 games, led the SEC with 12 TDs in conference play and ranked third with 136.4 all-purpose yards per game in SEC games.
- Sophomore John Kelly burst onto the scene with 630 yards on 98 carries, an average of 6.4 yards per rush.
- Coached All-SEC RB Jalen Hurd (1,288 yards) in 2015 to UT’s 18th 1,000-yard season and UT’s most rushing yards (2,908) since 1951, and mentored Hurd in 2014 to the best rushing season by a Vols’ true freshman since eventual NFL MVP Jamal Lewis in 1997
- In his first season with the Vols helped RB Rajion Neal to a 1,000 yard season, the first Vol to achieve the feat in the regular season since 2009. Neal finished with 1,124 yards in 2013
- The Vols overall rushed for 2,261 yards, the most since 2004 and the third-most in the last 16 seasons since 1998
- The 2012 Mountaineers team rushed for 171.8 yards per game, almost a 50 yards per game improvement over the team's 2011 total (122.7)
- In 2012, coached running back Andrew Buie, who rushed for a career-high 207 yards at Texas
- Coached NFL running backs Kendall Hunter and Keith Toston at Oklahoma State. Hunter was an All-American for OSU in 2010 and played in Super Bowl XLVII for the 49ers
- Coached three All-Big 12 runners at Oklahoma State: Hunter, Toston, and fullback Bryant Ward
- At OSU in 2010, Hunter was ninth in the nation with 1,548 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns for a Cowboys offense that ranked No. 3 nationally in total offense. The Cowboys rushed for 2,267 yards that season (174.4 yards per game) and led the conference in rushing offense in Big 12 games at 187.8 yards per game
- Four-year letterman at Florida at running back that rushed for 1,854 yards and served as team captain in 2001. Graduated from Florida in 2005
- Ended Florida career ranking second all-time for the Gators in receptions (96) and receiving yards (1,091) by a running back
- A native of Hattiesburg, Miss., he and his wife, Crystal, have two daughters, Nola and Sadie, and, a son, Wynston