THE MARTINEZ FILE
Hometown: Hollywood Hills, Fla.
Education: Miami (Fla.), 1985
Family: Wife Kim; Children: Christina, Ashley and William
Georgia, defensive coordinator, secondary
Central Michigan, asst. head coach, secondary
Central Michigan, secondary
Eastern Michigan, secondary
Central Florida, defensive coordinator, secondary
Central Michigan, secondary
Grand Valley State, defensive coordinator, secondary
Olympic Heights (Fla.) H.S., defensive coordinator, secondary
Boca Raton (Fla.) HS, secondary
Bethune-Cookman, quarterbacks, wide receivers
Miami (Fla.), GA
- Photo Gallery
- Coached and played in 17 bowl games, including Vols' 2016 Outback Bowl, while winning five conference titles and a national championship
- In 2014, coached a secondary that had 16 interceptions to rank 15th nationally and third in the SEC
- In his first season at UT, helped the defense to force five W. Kentucky turnovers in a span of six plays over five consecutive series, including an NCAA record four turnovers on consecutive defensive plays, highlighted by back-to-back pick-6s by Justin Coleman and Cameron Sutton.
- Sutton would go on to earn SEC All-Freshman squad honors in 2013.
- Coached at Auburn in 2012, serving as secondary coach and marking his 10th year coaching in the SEC
- During his impressive tenure has coached, in the last 12 years, 13 all-conference selections, 10 in the SEC, and four All-Americans, three in the SEC
- In addition, 16 of Martinez' athletes have had the honor of being drafted in the NFL draft, including 10 in the last seven seasons
- Spent the 2010-11 seasons as the defensive backs coach at Oklahoma, helping Sooners to a 23-5 record and the Big 12 Championship in 2010
- The Sooners, led by All-American and current Denver Bronco Quinton Carter, led the Big 12 in scoring defense (22.1) and finished eighth in the NCAA in pass efficiency defense in 2010
- Prior to Oklahoma, worked as Georgia's secondary coach from 2001-09 while earning a promotion to defensive coordinator in 2005
- While at Georgia, helped team to 90 wins, two SEC titles, three division crowns, seven bowl victories and six top 10 finishes, including No. 2 in 2007 and No. 3 in 2002
- As Georgia's defensive coordinator from 2005-09, guided defense to several national top statistical rankings including eighth in scoring defense in 2005, fifth in passing defense, eighth in total defense in 2006 and eighth in sacks in 2007
- Served as assistant head coach and secondary coach at Central Michigan in 2000 as the Chippewas led the NCAA in passing defense (149.7 yards per game)
- Central Michigan's secondary coach in 1998-99, was the secondary coach at Eastern Michigan in 1997, defensive coordinator and secondary coach at Central Florida in 1995-96, secondary coach Central Michigan in 1994 when the Chippewas won the MAC Championship, and defensive coordinator and secondary coach at Grand Valley State in 1992-93
- Coached in the Florida high school ranks in 1991 at Olympic Heights H.S. and in 1990 at Boca Raton H.S.
- In 1988 served as the quarterbacks and receivers coach at Bethune-Cookman helping the Wildcats to a MEAC Conference Championship.
- Began coaching career as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Miami (Fla.) from 1985-86
- A Hollywood Hills, Fla., native, played defensive back for four seasons at Miami, where he won the 1983 National Championship
- Martinez and his wife Kim have three children, Christina, Ashley and William