Aug. 27, 2012
Vols Jersey Countdown #4
Ask A Vol (D. Hood)Fans Will See More At SEC Stadiums
Bray Media Session
Dallas Media Session
Hood Media Session
Hunter Media Session
Patterson Media Session
McCullers Media Session
Sentimore Media Session
Vols In NFL (8/29)
Behind The Scenes Of Big Orange, Big Ideas TV Spot
Orange, Red, Blue & Orange Thanks to 1080i
Vol Network Offers DVD Season Pass
Coiner Media Session
Conklin Media Session
Graham Media Session
Hinshaw Media Session
Palermo Media Session
Pittman Media Session
- Aug. 31 represents the earliest date for a UT season opener since 2003, when the Vols defeated Fresno State 24-6 on Aug. 30. Tennessee has won four consecutive August games, including wins over Fresno State, Wyoming (47-7 on 8/31/02), Texas Tech (52-17 on 8/30/97), and UNLV (62-3 on 8/31/96).
- UT is opening the season at a neutral site for the first time since defeating Wyoming on 8/31/02 at LP Field in Nashville in front of a decidedly pro-Tennessee crowd.
- UT is 85-24-6 (.765) in season openers dating back to 1891. In the last 28 seasons, Tennessee is 23-3-2 (.857) in season openers. Of those 28 games, 13 were played against teams currently in a BCS conference, and UT is 8-3-2 (.692) in those games.
- The Vols are 11-7 all-time in games played on Friday, with the most recent game being a 27-14 loss to Clemson on Friday, Jan. 2, 2004 in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl.
- The Vols are 2-0-1 in opening games on neutral sites with a 23-22 win over Iowa in E. Rutherford, N.J., in 1987, a 31-31 tie against Colorado in Anaheim, Calif., in 1990 and a 47-7 win over Wyoming in Nashville in 2002.
The NC State Game
- Friday's game is the third-ever scheduled meeting between Tennessee and NC State, and the teams have split the previous two meetings (1911 NC State, 16-0; 1939 UT, 13-0).
- Tennessee's last non-Bowl Friday game was
the last game vs. NC State (9/29/39), which was the season-opener that year. UT has played seven games on Friday since 1939, all bowl games, six January bowl games.
- Sam Bartholomew, grandfather of current Vol fullback Ben, had a 79-yard kickoff return to set up UT's first TD in the 1939 game.
- The last UT win over a team that was in the ACC at the time of the game was a 23-6 win over Duke on 11/1/03. The last win for the Vols over a current ACC member was the following week, a 10-6 win over Miami (Fla.) at the Orange Bowl on 11/8/03. The game vs. NC State is the first in the regular season against a current ACC school since the consecutive games vs. Duke and Miami in 2003.
A Tennessee Win Would...
- Improve the Vols to 86-24-6 (.767) in season openers and 6-0-1 in August all-time.
- Mark the fourth consecutive win in a season opener since 2009 and the 16th win to open the season in the last 18 years since 1995, with the only losses at Cal in 2007 (45-31) and at UCLA in 2008 (27-24, OT).
- Snap a six-game losing streak in Atlanta and the Georgia Dome dating to 2001 (2009 vs. Va. Tech, Chickfil-A Bowl; 2007 vs. LSU, SEC Champ. Game; 2004 vs. Auburn, SEC Champ. Game; 2003 vs. Clemson, Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl; 2002 vs. Maryland, Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl; 2001 vs. LSU, SEC Champ. Game).
- Snap a three-game losing streak to ACC schools, including a two-game losing streak in neutral-site games against the conference.