Sept. 3, 2012
Neal Media Session
Worley Media Session
Waggner Media Session
Maggitt Media Session
Bartholomew Media Session
Fulton Media Session
Lane Media Session
Couch Media Session
Moore Media Session
Football Closes In On Top 25 Ranking
Patterson Named To CFPA Weekly Honor Roll
Bray Up For Manning Award Player Of Week
Patterson Featured On ESPN, Yahoo! Front Pages
Gordon Media Session
Young Media Session
Bray Media Session
Waggner Media Session
Hunter Media Session
Lathers Media Session
Johnson Media Session
Teague Media Session
Thomas Media Session
Richardson Media Session
Ansley Media Session
Conklin Media Session
Graham Media Session
Hinshaw Media Session
Palermo Media Session
Pittman Media Session
- Tennessee scored 22 points in the first quarter, the most for the Vols in a first quarter since tallying 35 points vs. Arkansas to start the game on 11/11/00. The 22 points were also the most in any quarter since scoring 23 vs. UT Martin in the third quarter on 9/4/10.
- The win also snapped a three-game losing streak to ACC schools and a six-game skid in the Georgia Dome.
- Tennessee's 524 yards of total offense were its most since a 541-yard effort against Buffalo and the most vs. a BCS opponent since racking up 531 yards of total offense vs. Cincinnati on 9/10/11.
- The Vols posted 191 yards rushing vs. NC State, more than they recorded in all but one game last season, a 199-yard effort vs. Buffalo.
- Tennessee hosts Georgia State in its home opener on Sept. 8. The Vols are 91-18-5 (.820) all-time in home openers, including 17 consecutive home-opening victories since 1994.
- The Vols are playing a home opener on the second
date on the schedule for the first time since 2008, when UT hosted UAB on 9/13/08 (played at UCLA on 9/1).
- Tennessee is hosting an FCS opponent for the third consecutive year, UT Martin in 2010 (50-0 win) and Montana in 2011 (42-16 win).
The Georgia State Game
- Saturday's game represents the first-ever meeting between Tennessee and Georgia State.
- The Vols are 3-0 vs. the current members of the
Colonial Athletic Association, having defeated William & Mary 48-13 in 1945 in Knoxville, Villanova, 33-2 on Oct. 27, 1945 in Knoxville and Richmond, 34-6 on Sept. 21, 1963. The Vols won those three games by a combined score of 115-21.
- Bill Curry will become the first person to face the Vols as the head coach with four different teams as he was 2-4-1 against UT with Georgia Tech, 3-0 at Alabama and 0-7 at Kentucky.
- The Vols were +3 in turnover margin in the win
vs. NC State, intercepting four passes and losing one fumble. UT has forced multiple turnovers in five of its last six games since the South Carolina game in 2011. The +3 turnover margin rate ranks tied for 4th nationally.
- UT and Kansas were the only two teams to have
four interceptions in week one.
- Tennessee's four interceptions were its most
in a game since also picking off four vs. Ole Miss in 2010. Last season, the Vols did not record their fourth interception until the ninth game of the year (MTSU).
- The Vols are 9-5 under Derek Dooley when forcing multiple turnovers and have won six consecutive games since Memphis in 2010 when intercepting multiple passes. Since 2008, Tennessee is 11-3 in games in which the team records more than one interception.
A Tennessee Win Would...
- Improve the Vols to 92-18-5 (.822) in home openers, including their 18th win in a row in home openers, and 438-112-17 (.787) all-time at Neyland Stadium. A win would also be the 796th in Tennessee history.
- Mark the eighth consecutive regular season win over a non-conference opponent and the seventh in a row vs. a non-conference opponent at Neyland Stadium.
- Improve the Vols to 46-9 (.836) at home in September since 1990 and 57-22-2 (.716) overall during the month in that time frame.
- Give Tennessee consecutive 2-0 starts for the first time since 2003-04. UT won its first four in 2003 and its first three in 2004 but has not won at least two in a row to start consecutive seasons since then.