Oliver Goss shoots even to lead Vols.
Feb. 26, 2013
PONTE VEDRA, Fla. -- On Tuesday, the John Hayt Invitational was cut short due to heavy rains and extremely wet course conditions. The tournament was shortened to only two rounds and 36 holes with Monday's results serving as the final totals.
The Tennessee men's golf team was led by freshman Oliver Goss. He shot an even par 144 to lead Tennessee in the shortened two round John Hayt Invitational at the Sawgrass Country Club.
The entire tournament was marred with tough weather conditions, which saw second round tee times get delayed and the final round canceled.
"The first round I played really solid and it had the potential to be a really low round, but I missed a few opportunities and had a 2-shot penalty," Goss said. "The second round was really up and down for me and I had to scramble hard to make up for it. We had to battle all day with the weather, but I still thought I was in solid position to finish strong before the final round was canceled".
The Vols' team held tight to the 11th spot as they finished both rounds in that position. Tennessee carded a 294-298--592 (+16).
- North Florida senior Kevin Phelan claimed his first career victory posting a two-day total of 64-67--131 (-13).
- Phelan's first round was a tournament record and his 36-hole total was also an all-time tournament best.
- North Florida senior Sean Dale finished runner-up with a score of 68-67--135 (-9), which also would have bested the previous 36-hole record.
- North Florida matched the team single round (276) and team 36-hole (559) records in claiming their 3rd John Hayt Invitational title.
- It was the first time in tournament's 22-year history that all three scheduled rounds were not finished.
The Vols will be in action again March 11 at the General Hackler Intercollegiate in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Volunteer fans can keep up with the team by following @Vol_Golf on Twitter.
|TEAM SCORES (Completed)|
|1.||#25 North Florida||559 (-17)|
|2.||#11 Duke||571 (-5)|
|T-4.||#14 Arkansas||587 (+11)|
|T-4.||North Texas||587 (+11)|
|T-4.||#7 Florida||587 (+11)|
|T-4.||#12 LSU||587 (+11)|
|T-9.||Coastal Carolina||591 (+15)|
|T-11.||#22 TENNESSEE||592 (+16)|
|14.||Ole Miss||610 (+34)|
|INDIVIDUAL LEADERS (Completed)|
|1.||Kevin Phelan, North Florida||64-67--131 (-13)|
|2.||Sean Dale, North Florida||68-67--135 (-9)|
|T-3.||Austin Cody, Duke||70-70--140 (-4)|
|T-3.||Ricardo Gouveia, UCF||68-72--140 (-4)|
|T-3.||Brinson Paolini, Duke||71-69--140 (-4)|
|UT SCORES (Completed)|
|T-12.||Oliver Goss||70-74--144 (E)|
|T-31.||Rick Lamb||74-74--148 (+4)|
|T-43.||Thomas Dunne||75-75--150 (+6)|
|T-55.||Jay Vandeventer||77-75--152 (+8)|
|T-63.||Michael Nagy||75-81--154 (+10)|
|T-76.||Chad Merzbacher||83-75--158 (+14)|