Oct. 16, 2012
Jim Gallagher, Jr., is one of the most decorated and all-time greats the University of Tennessee men's golf team as ever had. He lettered for the Volunteer golf team from 1980 to 1983.
During his time in Knoxville, Gallagher was an All-American in 1982, an All-SEC member in 1980 and 1982, and carried the men's golf team to three NCAA tournament appearances. After graduating in 1983 with a marketing degree, Gallagher turned pro and hit the PGA Tour.
Once professional, Gallagher racked up numerous victories and honors including a spot on the 1993 Ryder Cup and over five million dollars in career earnings.
PGA Tour Wins:
- Date: Sep 1, 1990
Tournament: Greater Milwaukee Open
- Date: Jul 11, 1993
Tournament: Anheuser-Busch Golf Classic
- Date: Oct 31, 1993
Tournament: The Tour Championship
- Date: Apr 23, 1995
Tournament: KMart Greater Greensboro Open
- Date: Jul 2, 1995
Tournament: FedEx St. Jude Classic
Now, even at 51, the former Vol has shown no signs of slowing down.
Recently, the Tennessee legend competed in the SAS Championship in Cary, N.C., at the Prestonwood Country Club. The SAS Championship was presented by Bloomberg Businessweek and held Oct. 5-7. The tournament is part of the PGA Champions Tour and the Charles Schwab Cup. He finished tied for 74 with a total score of 7-over par and rounds of 73 (+1), 74 (+2), 76 (+4).
Gallagher, a native of Johnstown, Penn., has four top-25 finishes in 2012. In addition, he has made the cut in every event he has played (19 events). He has a scoring average of 72.96 and is ranked 79 in the Charles Schwab Cup.
Gallagher's next event will be the AT&T Championship on Oct. 26-28 at the TPC San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas.
Gallagher currently reside in Greenwood, Miss., with Cissye, who is a former LPGA member. In addition, his father Jim is a PGA Professional in Marion, Ind. The Gallaghers' are quite the golf family, so much so that they were selected as the National Golf Family of the Month for 1995 by PGA of America.
Here are some other interesting facts about Jim Gallagher, Jr.:
- Previously served a stint as a golf commentator for USA Network and CNBC.
- Favorite TV shows: "CSI: Miami," "Dirty Jobs," "Swamp People," "Deadliest Catch" and "Storm Chasers".
- First job: Caddie at Meshingomesia Country Club in Marion, Ind.
- Favorite movies: "The Rookie," "Remember the Titans" and "Pirates of the Caribbean"
- Favorite meal: Ribeye steak, a sweet potato, Caesar salad and cherry pie ala mode.
- His favorite team growing up: Chicago Bears.
- Most memorable shot: Eagle-2 at No. 17 at Castle Pines at The International.
- When not playing golf: Enjoys hunting, raising his four kids and being involved in their activities.
- Cell phone ringtone: "Rocky Top."