Jan. 17, 2013
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Sophomore Brandon Fickey led the charge in the Vols' 4-0 season-opening victory Thursday over Tennessee Tech at Goodfriend Tennis Center.
Fickey did not lose a single game in singles and doubles as the 19th-ranked Vols improved to 1-0.
He and Hunter Reese teamed up at No. 3 doubles for an 8-0 victory over Alvaro Cintas and Othon Lima. In singles, Fickey was the first off the court with a 6-0, 6-0 win on court 4 against Cintas, who was making his collegiate debut.
After taking the doubles point on courts 1 and 3, the Vols were off the races in singles againt Tennessee Tech (0-1). Fickey rolled through his match and was followed a few minutes later by Jarryd Chaplin's 6-1, 6-1 win over Vasily Eremeev on court 3 and Edward Jones' 6-1, 6-1 victory against Lima on court 6.
Tennessee won five of six first sets. Mikelis Libietis was broken twice and dropped his opening set 7-5 when the match was clinched. Reese had won his first set in a tiebreaker.
Tennessee 4, Tennessee Tech
1. #9 Mikelis Libietis, UT, vs. Syrym Abdukhalikov, TTU, 5-7 unf.
2. #40 Hunter Reese, UT, vs. Alajandro Augusto, TTU, 7-6 unf.
3. Jarryd Chaplin, UT, def. Vasily Eremeev, TTU, 6-1, 6-1
4. Brandon Fickey, UT, def. Alvaro Cintas, TTU, 6-0, 6-0
5. John Collins, UT, vs. Artem Tarasov, TTU, 6-4, 2-2
6. Edward Jones, UT, def. Othon Lima, TTU, 6-1, 6-1
1. #26 Libietis/Chaplin, UT, def. Augusto/Abdukhalikov, TTU, 8-1
2. Jones/Collins, UT, vs. Eremeev/Tarasov, TTU, 6-3 unf.
3. Reese/Fickey, UT, def. Cintas/Lima, TTU, 8-0
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1), Singles (4,6,3)