Jan. 18, 2014
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- The sixth-ranked Tennessee Volunteers opened the 2014 season with a 7-0 victory over Tennessee Tech on Saturday at Goodfriend Tennis Center.
The Vols play their second match this afternoon at 2 p.m. against Eastern Kentucky.
Tennessee didn't drop a set on their way to victory across the courts in singles in doubles.
All three doubles teams won their matches 6-1, led by the new team of Andrew Dromsky and Markus Kerner on court 3. Mikelis Libietis and Hunter Reese, ranked No. 1 nationally, won their 49th career match together and improved to 12-2 this year.
In singles, Reese stepped up to the No. 1 position for the second time in his career. With a career-best ranking of No. 16, Reese was the first off the courts in singles for the Vols with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Vasily Eremeev. Dromsky picked up his first singles win in Orange and White, beating Artem Tarasov 6-2, 6-1.
Kerner clinched the team victory at 4-0 by beating Alvaro Cintas 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 6 position. After that, Libietis, Jarryd Chaplin and Bartosz Sawicki won in straight sets to wrap up the 7-0 shutout. It was the first career match for Sawicki, who has been on the team for a year and is eligible to play.
The match was played under new experimental rules with no-ad scoring. The match was completed in under two hours.
Tennessee 7, Tennessee Tech 0
1. #16 Hunter Reese (UT) def. Vasily Eremeev (TTU), 6-0, 6-1
2. #34 Mikelis Libietis (UT) def. Oleksiy Arovin (TTU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Jarryd Chaplin (UT) def. Alberto Esteban (TTU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Bartosz Sawicki (UT) def. Gagan Jain (TTU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Andrew Dromsky (UT) def. Artem Tarasov (TTU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Markus Kerner (UT) def. Alvaro Cintas (TTU), 6-2, 6-2
1. #1 Mikelis Libietis/Hunter Reese (UT) def. Vasily Eremeev/Oleksiy Arovin (TTU), 6-1
2. #28 Jarryd Chaplin/Brandon Fickey (UT) def. Artem Tarasov/Alberto Esteban (TTU) 6-1
3. Andrew Dromsky/Markus Kerner (UT) def. Gagan Jain/Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 6-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,5,6,2,3,4)