Jan. 20, 2012
The 13th-ranked Tennessee Volunteers lost momentum quickly in singles and could not recover, losing 4-3 to Memphis to start the season at Goodfriend Tennis Center.
The Vols won the doubles point and took advantage on the top three courts quickly in singles. However, the momentum slowly began tilting in Memphis favor as the Tigers took the first sets on courts four through six.
The freshmen at the top of the lineup provided the only singles wins for Tennessee with Brandon Fickey winning 6-1, 6-3 over Johnny Grimal on court 2 and Mikelis Libietis picking up his first ranked win, beating No. 50 David O'Hare 6-2, 7-6 (2).
Tennessee lead at one point 3-0, but Memphis got right back in thanks to solid performances at the bottom of the lineup.
Freshman Hunter Reese took the first set easily on court 3 against Joe Salisbury and had a chance to serve out the match twice in the second set. Twice, Salibury broke back and even shrugged off two match points.
Facing match point in the second set at 4-5, ad Reese, Salisbury hit a crosscourt approach shot close to the line that Reese called out but the official overruled. Salisbury eventually won ensuing tiebreaker to force a third set.
Reese was down a break early but rallied. The match went into a deciding tiebreaker, which Salisbury won 7-5, clinching the match with a 1-6, 7-6, 7-6 victory.
Memphis 4, Tennessee 3
1. Mikelis Libietis (UT) def. #50 David O'Hare (MEM) 6-2, 7-6
2. Brandon Fickey (UT) def. Johnny Grimal (MEM) 6-1, 6-3
3. Joe Salisbury (MEM) def. #119 Hunter Reese (UT) 1-6, 7-6, 7-6
4. Connor Glennon (MEM) def. Jarryd Chaplin (UT) 7-6, 6-1
5. David O'Leary (MEM) def. Edward Jones (UT) 6-4, 6-3
6. Leon Nasemann (MEM) def. #117 Peter Nagovnak (UT) 6-3, 6-4
1. #33 Hunter Reese/Mikelis Libietis (UT) def. #47 David O'Hare/Joe Salisbury (MEM) 8-5
2. Connor Glennon/David Henry (MEM) def. Brandon Fickey/Edward Jones (UT) 8-2
3. Peter Nagovnak/Jarryd Chaplin (UT) def. Johnny Grimal/Leon Nasemann (MEM) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,1,4,5,6,3)