Jan. 21, 2013
KNOXVILLE -- The Vols collected three more shutout victories Monday to wrap up their season-opening home stand undefeated at Goodfriend Tennis Center.
The day was long, but coaches and players agreed it was a productive one as the 19th-ranked Vols put in another day of competitive work to prepare for the ITA Kick-Off Weekend on Friday in Illinois and matches beyond.
Tennessee (7-0) started the day with a 4-0 shutout against Eastern Kentucky and followed that with 4-0 and 6-0 victories against Murray State in the afternoon and evening.
"To play three matches, for them to come out in the third match with the energy that they had and the focus they had was awesome," Tennessee head coach Sam Winterbotham said. "I'm proud of them."
All seven of the Vols' victories this year have come in shutout fashion, breaking the school record of consecutive shutouts of five, most recently accomplished by the 2010 team.
The Vols' seven wins was a true test of endurance to open the year. The matches came over a five-day stretch that included two doubleheaders last week and today's three matches in a rare triple header. Nine Vols entered the lineup and eight of them posted at least two singles wins.
"I know Sam wanted us to get a lot of matches in, and we got a lot of matches in," said sophomore Hunter Reese, who extended his winning streak to a career-best 10 matches Monday. "We played a lot of tennis. It's definitely what we needed, and now we've got to get ready to go and start back up again Friday."
Individually, the Vols posted some more impressive scores across the board, not dropping a single set Monday. In seven dual matches, the team has just lost one set on any court.
Libietis, ranked ninth nationally, is now 19-3 this year, already one win shy of his entire freshman total. Fickey continued to excel to start his sophomore spring, rolling up his second 6-0, 6-0 score of the young season, this one coming against Murray State's Joao Camara.
Fifth-year senior Taylor Patrick also played in all three matches. He didn't complete his first match but won the next two to improve to 17-7, already a season best.
Notes: Junior Colton Norton got into the first Murray State match and made his career dual match debut, winning in doubles with Edward Jones ... Reese and Fickey stepped up to the No. 2 doubles position and won two more matches to improve to 7-0 this year ... Libietis and Jarryd Chaplin, ranked 26th nationally, are now 9-1.
Tennessee 4, Eastern Kentucky 0
1. #9 Mikelis Libietis, UT, def. Daridge Saidi, EKU, 6-1, 6-0
2. #40 Hunter Reese, UT, def. Juanjo de le Llera, EKU, 6-0, 6-2
3. Jarryd Chaplin, UT, vs. Alejandro Alvaro, EKU, 6-4, 4-0 uf.
4. Brandon Fickey, UT, def. Aleix Alvarez, EKU, 6-1, 6-0
5. Taylor Patrick, UT, vs. Joao Maio, EKU, 6-3, 3-1 uf.
6. Sebastian Yllera, UT, vs. Floria Graskamp, EKU, 6-4, 1-2 uf.
1. #26 Libietis/Chaplin, UT, vs. Saidi/Alvaro, EKU, 7-1 uf.
2. Fickey/Reese, UT, def. de le Llera/Smets, EKU, 8-1
3. Edward Jones/Patrick def. Alvarez/Graskamp, EKU, 8-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,4,2).
Tennessee 4, Murray State 0
1. Mikelis Libietis, UT def. Adam Taylor, Murray St., 6-2, 6-2
2. Jarryd Chaplin, UT vs. Tyler Jeffers, Murray St., 6-1, 2-5, uf.
3. Brandon Fickey, UT def. Joao Camara, Murray St., 6-0, 6-0
4. Edward Jones, UT vs. Max McLean, Murray St., 6-0, 4-3, uf.
5. Taylor Patrick, UT def. Ryan Kennedy, Murray St., 6-2, 6-0
6. Colton Norton, UT vs. Nik Mitric, Murray St., 6-3, 2-2, uf.
1. Libietis/Chaplin, UT def. Taylor/Kennedy, Murray St., 8-4
2. Reese/Fickey, UT def. Jeffers/N. Mitric, Murray St., 8-1
3. Jones/Norton, UT def. McLean/A. Mitric, Murray St., 8-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3); Singles (3, 5, 1)
Tennessee 6, Murray State 0
1. Hunter Reese, UT def. Adam Taylor, Murray St. 6-1, 6-2
2. Mikelis Libietis, UT def. Tyler Jeffers, Murray St., 6-1, 6-3
3. Jarryd Chaplin, UT def. Joao Camara, Murray St., 6-1, 6-3
4. Brandon Fickey, UT def. Max McLean, Murray St., 6-0, 6-2
5. Edward Jones, UT def. Ryan Kennedy, Murray St., 6-0, 6-3
6. Taylor Patrick, UT def. Nik Mitric, Murray St., 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: Singles (3, 6, 5, 1, 4, 2)