Jan. 29, 2005
Tennessee's men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season with a 5-2 victory over Memphis Saturday at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Center.
"Today was a great battle against Memphis," men's acting head tennis coach Chris Mahony said. "Memphis came in here and fought unbelievably hard and never took a backwards step. So we were forced to come up with some of our best tennis."
In singles, Mark Dietrich won at No. 1 singles for the second straight match this time dispatching of Memphis's James Spence 7-6(5), 6-4. Sophomore Matt Berry defeated Scott Felsenthal 6-7, 6-4, (10-6) in No. 6 singles. Freshman Morgan Wilson won at No. 3 singles with an easy 6-1, 6-1 victory.
"I tried to get off to a good start in both sets," Wilson said. "Once I got off the break I tried to relax and play well. I played a solid match."
Junior David Baxendine wrapped the match up for the Vols with his come-from-behind victory over Marten Tamla 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 4 singles.
In doubles, freshmen Bobby Cameron and Wilson won at No. 2 doubles for the third straight match defeating Alex Bucewicz and Marten Tamla 8-6. Mark Dietrich and Kiril Tcherveniachki partnered for the second straight weekend and were able to win at No. 1 doubles 8-4.
"We were a little short-handed today with one of our starters injured," Mahony said. "Another starter was suspended for today's match due to him making some poor off-the-court decisions. I was proud of the guys who stepped in the lower-half of the lineup on short notice."
The Vols are in action next Saturday against No. 10 Virginia in Charlottesville at 2 p.m.
No. 25 Tennessee 5 Memphis 2
1) Mark Dietrich (UT) def. James Spence (UM) 7-6(5), 6-4
2) Alex Bucewicz (UM) def. Kiril Tcherveniachki (UT) 6-4, 6-4
3) Morgan Wilson (UT) def. Alex Jago (UM) 6-1, 6-1
4) David Baxendine (UT) def. Marten Tamla (UM) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3*
5) Mark Finnegan (UM) def. Ben Rogers (UT) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
6) Matt Berry (UT) def. Scott Felsenthal (UM) 6-7(), 6-4, (10-6)
Order of Finish 3,1,2,4*,5,6
1) Dietrich/Tcherveniachki (UT) def. Felsenthal/Spence (UM) 8-4
2) Cameron/Wilson (UT) def. Bucewicz/Tamla (UM) 8-6
3) Finnegan/Jago (UM) def. Baxendine/Rogers (UT) 8-6
Order of Finish 3,1,2