Jan. 31, 2014
STILLWATER, Okla. -- In front of a packed crowd at Stillwater Tennis Center, the sixth-ranked Tennessee Volunteers lost their first road match of the season 4-2 to Oklahoma State.
"It was a great crowd, a fantastic environment for college tennis," Tennessee head coach Sam Winterbotham said. "You couldn't ask for a better venue to play. What we did is we didn't handle ourselves well in that environment."
The Vols (6-1) won the doubles point via a tiebreaker on court 1 but faced an uphill battle in singles after taking just two of six first sets against Oklahoma State (6-0).
Junior Hunter Reese was the first off the court in singles, beating Sebastian Sachs 6-0, 6-4 on court 2. After that, however, the Vols could not finish off the match.
Sophomore Bartosz Sawicki lost in straight sets to Lucas Gerch on court 4. Oklahoma State tied the match minutes later at 2-2 when Brady Bohrnstedt completed a 3-set comeback over junior Andrew Dromsky 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 on court 5.
The Cowboys got the victory via performances in the top half of the lineup. Jakob Sude beat Vols' ace Mikelis Libietis 6-5 (2), 6-5 (4) in two tiebreakers on court 1.
Senior Jarryd Chaplin led 3-1 in the last set against Arjun Kadhe on court 3 but lost the last five games to fall 6-5 (1), 4-6, 6-3 in the deciding match.
Freshman Markus Kerner led 6-4, 4-6, 3-1 in the final set against Chris Haworth on court 6. Had Libietis or Chaplin won, that match would have served as the decider.
Libietis and Reese won the doubles point in a tiebreaker on court 1, but in singles, the Vols came up empty in tiebreakers. The team was 0-for-4 in tiebreakers played across the six courts.
"We talked ourselves out of so many winning opportunities today," Winterbotham said. "If we don't do that, if we don't cut out the drama, this is going to be a microcosm of our season. If we learn from that and we cut out the drama and really understand what it means to compete, then we can have a great year."
Tennessee continues its road trip against Tulsa on Sunday at noon.
Oklahoma State 4, Tennessee 2
1. Jakob Sude (OSU) def. #34 Mikelis Libietis (TENN) 6-5(2), 6-5(4)
2. #16 Hunter Reese (TENN) def. Sebastian Sachs (OSU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Arjun Kadhe (OSU) def. Jarrod Chaplin (TENN) 6-5(1), 4-6, 6-3
4. Lucas Gerch (OSU) def. Bartosz Sawicki (TENN) 6-3, 6-5(3)
5. Brady Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. Andrew Dromski (TENN) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Chris Haworth (OSU) vs. Markus Kerner (TENN) 6-4, 4-6, 1-3 uf.
1. #1 Libietis/Reese (TENN) def. Sude/Sachs (OSU) 6-5 (4)
2. Kadhe/Bohrnstedt (OSU) def. #28 Fickey/Chaplin (TENN) 6-3
3. Kerner/Dromsky (TENN) def. Gerch/Campbell (OSU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,5,1,3)