Feb. 3, 2010
The Tennessee Volunteers captured their record-tying fifth consecutive shutout to start the season by sweeping Middle Tennessee 7-0 on Wednesday afternoon at Goodfriend Tennis Center.
The fifth-ranked Vols (5-0) jumped out early by securing the doubles point and have yet to lose singles or doubles in a dual match. Senior Matt Brewer clinched the match with a straight-set win from the fifth position.
Tennessee has not recorded five shutouts in a row since the 1964 season, in which head coach Tommy Bartlett led the Vols to a 13-1 record.
Senior Davey Sandgren and junior John-Patrick Smith clinched the point a few minutes later with an 8-2 win. With the victory, Sandgren and Smith moved alone into third on the Vols' career doubles wins list with 56 wins. They improved their season record to 17-3.
Junior John-Patrick Smith, ranked second, was the first to finish singles as he picked up win No. 22 of the season by defeating No. 105 John Peers 6-1, 6-1. Smith now has 12 wins over ranked opponents this year. The win was the 91st of Smith's career, moving him into a tie with Paul Podbury for ninth on the career list.
Matteo Fago won his sixth-position match by retirement midway through the second set, and Brewer, ranked 52nd, clinched the win for Tennessee with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Shaun Waters in the fifth position.
1. John-Patrick Smith (UT) def. John Peers (MTSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Boris Conkic (UT) def. Victor Melo (MTSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Rhyne Williams (UT) def. Richard Cowden (MTSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Tennys Sandgren (UT) def. Matthew Langley (MTSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Matt Brewer (UT) def. Shaun Waters (MTSU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Matteo Fago (UT) def. Alex McCann (MTSU) 6-0, 4-3, retired
1. John-Patrick Smith/Davey Sandgren (UT) def. John Peers/Victor Melo (MTSU) 8-2
2. Rhyne Williams/Boris Conkic (UT) def. Richard Cowden/Matthew Langley (MTSU) 8-5
3. Tennys Sandgren/Matteo Fago (UT) def. Kyle Wishing/Shaun Waters (MTSU) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,5,2,4,3).