Feb. 3, 2010
The fifth-ranked Tennessee Volunteers defeated Middle Tennessee and The Citadel on Wednesday and entered the history books along the way.
The Vols (6-0) opened the day with their fifth consecutive shutout by defeating MTSU 7-0 to match a 46-year-old school record for dual match shutouts in a row. The second match didn't end in a sweep, but the Vols won easily over The Citadel 6-1 with an extremely different lineup.
Senior Matt Brewer sealed the win against MTSU at the No. 5 position as the Vols won all their singles in straight sets to shut out the Blue Raiders. The Tennessee record of five consecutive shutouts was set in 1964. The record for shutouts in a season was set a year later when UT swept opponents 10 times.
The Vols' singles lineup featured three freshmen and a sophomore against The Citadel. Junior Matteo Fago was the only Vol to play in both singles lineups. He and freshman Tennys Sandgren were the only doubles team on the card against both MTSU and The Citadel.
The doubles point came quickly for the Vols. Sophomore Bryan Swartz and redshirt freshman Taylor Patrick won their first doubles match together at No. 3, and they were followed by Fago and Sandgren, who clinched the point with an 8-3 win.
Senior Davey Sandgren played No. 1 singles for just the third time in his career and picked up an easy 6-3, 6-2 victory against Yufo Sutantio. The win was the 77th of his career, leaving him just two wins shy of entering the top 15 on UT's career wins list.
Patrick, a Knoxville native, was the first Vol to finish up singles, beating Josh Cook 6-0, 6-3 at No. 4. Sandgren followed with his win, and freshman Edward Jones clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-2 win over David Orces.
Redshirt freshman Max Stevens was down 3-5 in the second set and rallied back to tie the match at one set each. He eventually lost 10-4 in tiebreaker to Alberto Diaz at the No. 3 spot.
Fago had two wins on the day to boost his season record to 17-5, the third best on the team.
The Vols have one more match before traveling to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships next week. They host No. 15 Illinois on Sunday, beginning at noon.
Tennessee 6, The Citadel 1
1. Davey Sandgren (UT) def. Yufo Sutantio (CITADEL) 6-3, 6-2
2. Edward Jones (UT) def. David Orces (CITADEL) 6-1, 6-2
3. Alberto Diaz (CITADEL) def. Max Stevens (UT) 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Taylor Patrick (UT) def. Josh Cook (CITADEL) 6-0, 6-3
5. Matteo Fago (UT) def. Tripp Larkin (CITADEL) 6-1, 6-1
6. Bryan Swartz (UT) def. Luis Morett (CITADEL) 6-3, 6-1
1. Edward Jones/Max Stevens (UT) def. David Orces/Yufo Sutantio (CITADEL) 8-2
2. Tennys Sandgren/Matteo Fago (UT) def. Alberto Diaz/Josh Cook (CITADEL) 8-3
3. Taylor Patrick/Bryan Swartz (UT) def. Derek Dickey/Luis Morett (CITADEL) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,1,2,5,3,6)