Feb. 8, 2005
The No. 22 Tennessee men's tennis team improved to 4-1 on the season with a 6-1 win over intrastate rival ETSU Tuesday afternoon at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Center.
"We rebounded well today against ETSU," acting head tennis coach Chris Mahony said. "ETSU always fights hard and their players keep a lot of balls in play so this match always measures out patience and discipline."
Tennessee opened the match by taking the doubles point. The freshmen tandem of Bobby Cameron and Morgan Wilson cruised to an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles. That win was followed by a win at No. 1 doubles by sophomores Ockie Oosthuizen and Ben Rogers to clinch the point.
In singles, Wilson made the score 2-0 in favor of the Volunteers with a straight set win at No. 2 singles. Cameron added a straight set win at No. 4 singles to make the lead 3-0. Senior Mark Dietrich clinched the match with his straight set win at No. 1 singles. Freshman Kaden Hensel and sophomore Matt Berry finished the Buccaneers off with their wins at No. 5 and 6 singles.
"I wanted to come out and start well," Dietrich said. "I just concentrated on my serve and I knew I would get a break each set. It was a good confidence booster for Duke, getting ready to play the No. 6 guy (Ludovic Walter) in the country Saturday."
The Vols return to action Saturday, February 12 when they travel to Durham, N.C. to face No. 8 Duke at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center. Time of the match is 1:00 p.m.
VOLS REMAIN NO. 22 IN LATEST ITA TEAM RANKINGS
Tennessee's men's tennis team stayed at No. 22 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association team rankings, which were released Tuesday.
The Vols lost their first match of the season last Saturday to Virginia but instead of moving the Vols down, the ITA moved Virginia up one spot to No. 9.
Baylor remained in first place in the latest rankings followed by UCLA, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Ole Miss, Stanford, Duke, Virginia and Texas A&M rounding out the top 10.
No. 22 Tennessee 6 ETSU 1
1) Mark Dietrich (UT) def. No. 33 Oscar Posada (ETSU) 6-3, 7-5
2) Morgan Wilson (UT) def. Fernando Fiuri (ETSU) 6-3, 6-1
3) Felix Insaurralde (ETSU) def. Ockie Oosthuizen (UT) 6-4, 6-4
4) Bobby Cameron (UT) def. Moises Serrano (ETSU) 6-3, 6-3
5) Matt Berry (UT) def. Lisandro Picardo (ETSU) 6-4, 6-4
6) Kaden Hensel (UT) def. Sebastian Serrano (ETSU) 6-4, 6-1
Finishing Order 2,4,1*,3,6,5
1) No. 16 Oosthuizen/Rogers (UT) def. Fiuri/Posada (ETSU) 8-4
2) Cameron/Wilson (UT) def. Escobedo/Ochoa (ETSU) 8-3
3) Serrano/Serrano (ETSU) def. Dietrich/Tcherveniachki (UT) 9-7
Finishing Order 2,1*,3