Feb. 17, 2012
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Depth and experience tilted the scales early in Southern California's favor Friday when the Tennessee Volunteers opened the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.
The three-time defending NCAA champion Trojans took the doubles point and won the first set on all six courts en route to handing the Vols a 4-0 loss at the Boar's Head Sports Club.
Daniel Nguyen, ranked No. 14 nationally, defeated Hunter Reese 6-1, 6-0 on court 3 as the Trojans took a 2-0 lead. A few minutes later, USC ended the match with No. 36 Yannick Hanfmann beating Edward Jones 6-1, 6-0 on court 5 and No. 86 Roberto Quiroz pulling away in the second set 6-4, 6-1 against Taylor Patrick on court 6 in the deciding match.
"They're a very good team -- from top to bottom, they have really good players," Tennessee head coach Sam Winterbotham said. "I thought that we came out in doubles with the right plan. We knew what we needed to do. There was a little bit of inexperience in that situation where they just needed to be more aggressive, stick to the game plan.
"They allowed one or two shots to affect them more than it should have. A good team, that's all they need. They see the crack, they get a break and it's tough to come back."
Sophomore Jarryd Chaplin had seemingly turned his match around after dropping the first set to Emilio Gomez on court 4. Chaplin led 5-2 in the second set when the match was suspended.
The matches on courts 1 and 2 were suspended as well when the match was clinched.
"We saw good things," Winterbotham said. "We're just not good enough right now. That's the reality. Against a team as good and complete as USC, we're not good enough. Our guys have to get better, and they're willing to do that."
Now in the consolation draw, Tennessee (4-4) faces UCLA on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
USC 4, Tennessee 0
1. #11 Steve Johnson, USC, vs. #81 Mikelis Libietis, UT, 6-2, 5-3 DNF
2. #18 Ray Sarmiento, USC, vs. Brandon Fickey, UT, 6-4, 5-3 DNF
3. #14 Daniel Nguyen, USC, def. Hunter Reese, UT 6-1, 6-0
4. #47 Emilio Gomez, USC, vs. Jarryd Chaplin, UT, 6-4, 2-5 DNF
5. #36 Yannick Hanfmann, USC, def. Edward Jones, UT, 6-1, 6-0
6. #86 Roberto Quiroz, USC, def. Taylor Patrick, UT, 6-4, 6-1
1. #28 Johnson/Hanfmann, USC, vs. #41 Libietis/Reese, UT, 6-5 DNF
2. Nguyen/Sarmiento, USC, def. Fickey/Jones, UT, 8-2
3. Gomez/Quiroz, USC, def. Chaplin/Nagovnak, UT, 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3), Singles (3,5,6)