March 4, 2005
Tennessee men's tennis won its first SEC match of the year in dramatic fashion Friday, holding on for a 4-3 win over No. 15 Auburn at Tennessee's Varsity Outdoor Courts.
"That was a great win by the guys today," men's acting head coach Chris Mahony said. "Auburn was undefeated and ranked No. 15 in the country, so this win should give us a lot of confidence as a group. Today was one of those excellent team efforts with everybody on the team contributing."
The Vols (5-2, 1-0 SEC) started off great by capturing the doubles point. The No. 5-ranked duo of Ockie Oosthuizen and Ben Rogers defeated Tom George and Alex Schweizer 8-6 at No. 1 doubles. Freshmen Bobby Cameron and Kaden Hensel defeated Nick Lane and Robbert Lathouwers 8-3 at No. 2. Matt Berry and Mark Dietrich werer winning 7-5 over Brett Hunter and Gabor Zoltan Pelva when the point was won.
Oosthuizen, playing at No. 3 singles, got the Vols off to a great start in singles with a 6-1,6-1 win over Lathouwers. Hensel also won in straight sets over George 6-2, 6-3 at No. 5 singles. Kiril Tcherveniachki and Lane were tied one-set apiece when Tcherveniachki retired.
Dietrich clinched the match for the Vols with his 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win over Gabor Zoltan Pelva at No. 1 singles.
Auburn (8-1, 0-1 SEC) got single's victories from Schweizer and Hunter. Schweizer beat Cameron 7-6, 6-2 and Hunter outlasted Berry 2-6, 6-3, 6-0.
Tennessee is in action again Sunday versus No. 45 Alabama. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. at the Varsity Outdoor Courts. All UT matches are free to the public.
"We now have to quickly move our focus to a good Alabama team on Sunday." Mahony said.
No. 18 Tennessee 4 No. 15 Auburn 3
1) No. 60 Mark Dietrich (UT) def. Gabor Zoltan Pelva (AU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2) Alex Schweizer (AU) def. Bobby Cameron (UT) 7-6, 6-2
3) Ockie Oosthuizen (UT) def. Robbert Lathouwers (AU) 6-1, 6-1
4) Nick Lane (AU) def. Kiril Tcherveniachki 6-4, 4-6, retired
5) Kaden Hensel (UT) def. Tom George (AU) 6-2, 6-3
6) Brett Hunter (AU) def. Matt Berry (UT) 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
Finishing Order 3,6,2,5,1*,4
1) No. 5 Oosthuizen/Rogers (UT) def. George/Schweizer (AU) 8-6
2) Cameron/Hensel (UT) def. Lane/Lathouwers (AU) 8-3
3) Berry/Dietrich (UT) leading Hunter/Pelva (AU) 7-5
Finishing Order 2,1