March 6, 2005
The Tennessee men's tennis team improved to 2-0 in the SEC Sunday, with a 6-1 victory over Alabama at UT's Varsity Outdoor Courts.
It was another great, fighting win by the whole team today, "men's acting head coach Chris Mahony said. "Just like on Friday, we had everybody contribute to this win. I'm proud of the guys for defending their home court this weekend. Now we'll try to get healthy and look forward to next weekend when we have two more great SEC teams coming to UT."
Sophomore Ockie Oosthuizen clinched the match for UT with a dramatic come-from-behind victory. After dropping the first set, Oosthuizen bounced back to capture the second set and then held off Alabama's Eric Molnar in the third set to get the victory 2-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Senior Mark Dietrich captured an emotional win at No. 1 singles with a 6-4, 6-4 win over No. 46 Luigi D'Agord 6-4, 6-4. Freshman Kaden Hensel also won in straight sets at No. 5 singles with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Sammy Struyf.
Freshman Bobby Cameron also came back from a rough beginning to post a victory over No. 99 Joseph Jung 2-6, 6-1, 7-6. Sophomore Matt Berry put the finishing touches on a UT victory with his win at No. 6 singles over R.J. Murray 6-2, 2-6, 6-1.
In doubles, the No. 5 ranked duo of Oosthuizen and Rogers won for the 21st time this season, this time defeating D'Agord and Molnar 8-5. Berry and Dietrich teamed up at No. 3 doubles to defeat Jordie Kindervater and Mertz 8-2.
The Crimson Tide's (5-6, 0-2 SEC) only point came at No. 4 singles were Billy Mertz defeated Kiril Tcherveniachki 6-4, 6-1
The Vols (6-2, 2-0 SEC) are next in action this Friday against Arkansas. The match is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. and will be held at the Goodfriend Indoor Tennis Center. All UT Tennis matches are free to the public.
No. 18 Tennessee 6 No. 45 Alabama 1
1) No. 60 Mark Dietrich (UT) def. No. 46 Luigi D'Agord (UA) 6-4, 6-4
2) Bobby Cameron (UT) def. No. 99 Joseph Jung 2-6, 6-1, 7-6(4)
3) Ockie Oosthuizen (UT) def. Eric Molnar (UA) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
4) Billy Mertz (UA) def. Kiril Tcherveniachki (UT) 6-4, 6-1
5) Kaden Hensel (UT) def. Sammy Struyf (UA) 6-4, 6-1
6) Matt Berry (UT) def. R.J. Murray (UA) 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
1) No. 5 Oosthuizen/Rogers (UT) def. D'Agord/Molnar (UA) 8-5
2) Murray/Struyf (UA) def. Cameron/Hensel (UT) 8-5
3) Berry/Dietrich (UT) def. Kindervater/Mertz (UA) 8-2