KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee sophomore Timo Stodder earned his first career top-10 singles victory Friday, but the Vols lost to Vanderbilt 4-3 at Barksdale Stadium.
The Vols (8-7, 0-3 SEC) lost the doubles point and needed to win four singles matches but only turned three. It is Tennessee's second consecutive 4-3 loss, having finished with the same score at Vanderbilt on Sunday.
Stodder had come up short in his two matches against top-10 ranked opponents this spring but broke through on his third attempt. He defeated sixth-ranked Mike Redlicki, who won the national indoor championships in the fall, 6-2, 6-4 at the top of the lineup. The Vol sophomore is now a team-leading 19-9 this season.
"We have to think from the team perspective, which we came up short 4-3," Stodder said. "I think we can do a better job in doubles and some spots in singles, and I still have to keep improve myself. I'm happy I got my first top-10 win and looking forward to the next match.
Tennessee also got singles wins from sophomore Srdjan Jakovljevic, who defeated Oscar Mequida 6-2, 6-2 on court 4, and freshman Scott Jones, who fended off three match points in a 6-4, 4-6, [11-9] win on court 3.
"As a team, we have to continue to fight," Tennessee head coach Sam Winterbotham said. "There are nine SEC matches left. Guys are raising their level, which is good. Timo, Srdjan and Scott picked up big wins today, and as a whole, the team competed hard. Now we turn our focus to Ole Miss."
Arkansas (8-5, 2-0) picked up the necessary three singles points for the victory, clinching the match at 4-2 behind straight sets wins by Johan den Toom on court 5, Juan Marino on court 6 and 24th-ranked Jose Salazar on court 2.
The Vols host Ole Miss on Sunday at 1 p.m.
ARKANSAS 4, TENNESSEE 3
1. #86 Timo Stodder, UT, def. #6 Mike Redlicki, UA, 6-2, 6-4
2. #24 Jose Salazar, UA, def. Luis Valero, UT, 6-1, 7-6(4)
3. Scott Jones, UT, def. Adam Sanjurjo, UA, 6-4, 4-6, [11-9]
4. Srdjan Jakovljevic, UT, def. Oscar Mesquida, UA, 6-2, 6-2
5. Johan den Toom, UA, def. Jack Schipanski, UT, 6-4, 6-1
6. Juan Marino, UA, def. Luca Wiedenmann, UT, 6-2, 7-5
1. #56 Redlicki/Salazar, UA, def #21 Schipanski/Valero, UT, 6-3
2. #45 Stodder/Jones, UT, vs. Sanjurjo/Mesquida, UA, 5-4 unf.
3. den Toom/Terrell, UA, def. Jakovljevic/Bhat, UT, 6-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,5,1,6,2,3).