KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- After losing the doubles point, the Tennessee men's tennis team turned the tide in singles for a 4-3 victory over Ole Miss on Sunday inside Goodfriend Tennis Center.
Jakovljevic clinched the match for the Vols on court 4, pulling away in the third set for a 6-3, 6-7(10), 6-1 victory over Filip Kraljevic. The sophomore for Novi Sad, Serbia, had played Kraljevic, a Croatian, several times growing up, and Sunday marked the Jakovljevic's first win in the head-to-head series.
"When I lose the second set like that in a tiebreaker, it's hard to stay in there, but I was able to manage that," Jakovlejvic said. "I'm surprised as everyone else, but I did play well today. I was trying to find my game. I'd played him a few times back home, so it's a big win for me."
Ole Miss (6-4, 1-2) opened the match winning the doubles point and led 2-0 when Zvonimir Babic defeated Luca Wiedenmann 6-3, 6-2 on court 6.
From there, the points started falling into place for the Vols. Within seconds, Jones defeated Ricardo Jorge 6-4, 6-2 on court 3 and Valero ran past Tim Sandkaulen in the second set 7-6(3), 6-0 on court 2 to tie the match 2-2.
"I think the boys fought really hard today and played good tennis," Jones said. "I feel like I've been playing well lately, and today, a couple guys pulled out some big wins. Getting that first team win was fantastic."
Stodder dug back from a 4-0 hole in the first set to win in a tiebreaker on court 1 against 39th-ranked Gustav Hansson. Stodder got a late break in the second set to win 7-6(5), 7-5, his second top-40 win of the weekend.
With the Vols up 3-2, Jakovljevic converted on court 4.
Jones and Jakovljevic have started SEC play with 3-1 singles records. Stodder, 2-1 in the SEC, is now a team-leading 20-9 overall this season.
TENNESSEE 4, OLE MISS 3
1. #86 Timo Stodder (TENN) def. #39 Gustav Hansson (OM) 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
2. Luis Valero (TENN) def. Tim Sandkaulen (OM) 7-6 (7-3), 6-0
3. Scott Jones (TENN) def. Ricardo Jorge (OM) 6-4, 6-2
4. Srdjan Jakovljevic (TENN) def. Filip Kraljevic (OM) 6-3, 6-7 (10-12), 6-1
5. Fabian Fallert (OM) def. Jack Schipanski (TENN) 3-6, 7-6 (7-0), 6-3
6. Zvonimir Babic (OM) def. Luca Wiedenmann (TENN) 6-3, 6-2
1. #23 Fabian Fallert/Grey Hamilton (OM) def. #21 Jack Schipanski/Luis Valero (TENN) 6-4
2. #45 Timo Stodder/Scott Jones (TENN) vs. Ricardo Jorge/Zvonimir Babic (OM) 6-5, unfinished
3. Filip Kraljevic/Gustav Hansson (OM) def. Sunay Bhat/Srdjan Jakovljevic (TENN) 6-2
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,3,2,1,4,5)