March 13, 2005
The Tennessee men's tennis team ran their record to 8-2 on the season with a 4-3 win Sunday over LSU at UT's Varsity Outdoor Courts.
"Today was another great team effort by the guys," acting head coach Chris Mahony said. "At the moment they all seem to be pulling together and contributing in whatever way they can to get the job done. LSU is a great team and they fought unbelievably hard today so I think we can take a lot of confidence from today's win. Now they've earned a couple of days off and we will refocus towards the end of the week on a tough UCF (Central Florida) team."
The Vols (8-2, 4-0 SEC) won all three doubles matches to start the match but it was not that easy. Freshmen Bobby Cameron and Kaden Hensel won at No. 3 doubles to get UT's first win at doubles. The other two doubles matches needed tie-breakers as neither Tennessee nor LSU could break the other's serve. In the tie-breaker both UT tandems were able to pull out victories. Mark Dietrich and Morgan Wilson clinched the point with their victory at No. 2 doubles and Ockie Oosthuizen and Ben Rogers improved to 23-4 this year in doubles with their win at No. 1.
In singles the Vols got off to a quick start as UT won the first set in five of the matches. Hensel won in straight sets at No. 6 singles over Colt Gaston 6-1, 6-3. Dietrich defeated Mark Growcutt at No. 1 singles 6-3, 6-3 to give the Vols a 3-0 lead.
Oosthuizen clinched the match for UT with his win at No. 4 singles. Oosthuizen won the first set 6-2 dropped the second set 4-6 and trailed in the third set 0-3 before staging his comeback. The UT sophomore would win six straight games to close out the match for UT.
LSU (10-5, 0-4 SEC) was paced by Peter Richman who won at No. 3 singles over UT freshman Morgan Wilson 6-2, 6-7,6-1 and Danny Bryan came back from one set down to defeat Kiril Tcherveniachki 5-7, 7-6, 6-1 at No. 5 singles.
No. 10 Ken Skupski defeated Bobby Cameron at No. 2 singles 7-6, 4-6, 7-6.
The Vols next match is March 22 at Central Florida. The Vols resume their SEC schedule on March 25 when they host No. 4 Ole Miss.
No. 21 Tennessee 4 No. 17 LSU 3
1) No. 43 Mark Dietrich (UT) def. Mark Growcutt (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 10 Ken Skupski (LSU) def. Bobby Cameron (UT) 7-6, 4-6, 7-6
3) Peter Richman (LSU) def. Morgan Wilson (UT) 6-2, 6-7, 6-1
4) Ockie Oosthuizen (UT) def. No. 99 Jason Hazley (LSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
5) Danny Bryan (LSU) def. Kiril Tcherveniachki (UT) 5-7, 7-6, 6-1
6) Kaden Hensel (UT) def. Colt Gaston (LSU) 6-1, 6-3
1) No. 8 Oosthuizen/Rogers (UT) def. No. 6 Growcutt/Skupski (LSU) 9-8
2) Dietrich/Wilson (UT) def. Bryan/Hazley (LSU) 9-8
3) Cameron/Hensel (UT) def. Richman/White (LSU) 8-6