March 22, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee won a close doubles point but did not capitalize in singles Friday night in a 4-1 loss to Vanderbilt on the road.
The 15th-ranked Vols (13-7, 2-4 SEC) got rolling early with a win in doubles, headlined by an 8-5 victory by Mikelis Libietis and Hunter Reese over the top-ranked team of Gonzales Austin and Ryan Lipman.
In singles, the Vols won just two of six first sets before points started falling into place for Vanderbilt. The Commodores picked up two straight-set wins when Anton Kovrigin beat Markus Kerner 6-4, 6-0 on court 5 and Ryan Lipman defeated Mikelis Libietis 6-2, 7-5 on court 2.
Andrew Dromsky won his first set on court 6 but lost the momentum after that, with Jeff Offerdahl putting Vanderbilt up 3-1 with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 victory.
With Tennessee rallying on the remaining courts, the Commodores closed out the victory when Rhys Johnson beat Jarryd Chaplin 7-6 (4), 6-4 on court 4.
Reese was unable to serve out the match earlier in the second set on court 1 but had match points in the tiebreaker against No. 16 Gonzales Austin at 6-4, 6-6 (6-5) when play was suspended. Brandon Fickey also remained on court 3 with Kris Yee with the two tied up 2-2 in the third set.
In doubles, Libietis and Reese improved to 27-3 this season and 6-0 in SEC play with a win over top-ranked Austin and Lipman. The victory should assure the Vols' return to the top of the new doubles rankings Tuesday. Dromsky and Kerner won on court 3 to clinch the doubles point.
The Vols have lost three matches this year after winning the doubles point.
Tennessee returns home to host No. 14 Kentucky on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Vanderbilt 4, Tennessee 1
1. #16 Gonzales Austin (VU) vs. #22 Hunter Reese (UT) 4-6, 6-6 (5-6), unfinished
2. #102 Ryan Lipman (VU) def. #34 Mikelis Libietis (UT) 6-2, 7-5
3. Kris Yee (VU) vs. Brandon Fickey (UT) 7-5, 2-6, 2-2, unfinished
4. Rhys Johnson (VU) def. Jarryd Chaplin (UT) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
5. Anton Kovrigin (VU) def. Markus Kerner (UT) 6-4, 6-0
6. Jeffrey Offerdahl (VU) def. Andrew Dromsky (UT) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
1. #2 Mikelis Libietis/Hunter Reese (UT) def. #1 Gonzales Austin/Ryan Lipman (VU) 8-5
2. Anton Kovrigin/Rhys Johnson (VU) def. Jarryd Chaplin/Brandon Fickey (UT) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Andrew Dromsky/Markus Kerner (UT) def. Ryan Smith/Pen Binet (VU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,2,6,4)