April 1, 2011
STARKVILLE, Miss. -- After losing the doubles point fourth time this season, the Tennessee Volunteers could not get any momentum going in Friday's 6-1 loss to Mississippi State on the road.
The fourth-ranked Vols (16-3, 6-1 SEC) entered the match with a 17-match SEC winning streak on the line, having won the conference title a year ago with a perfect record. But on Friday, the Bulldogs (10-6, 5-2) held the upper hand practically from the start on to snap the Vols' winning ways.
Mississippi State took the close doubles point on a tiebreaker on the last court, but Tennessee tied the match briefly at 1-1 when sophomore Tennys Sandgren recorded his career-best 15th-consecutive win on court 3 by defeating James Chaudry 6-4, 6-2.
From there, the Bulldogs picked up their last three points to clinch in straight sets.
Senior Boris Conkic was up early but lost 12 of the last 13 games to fall to Louis Cant 7-5, 6-0 on court 5, and senior John-Patrick Smith had his seven-match winning streak at No. 1 snapped with a 6-4, 6-4 loss to Artem Ilyushin to give Mississippi State a 3-1 lead. In the deciding match, senior Matteo Fago was broken on court 4 to end a 6-3, 6-4 loss to Malte Stropp.
In doubles, Conkic and Smith won their 14th-consecutive match on court 1 and Sandgren and Williams lost just their second SEC match on court 2. Everything came down to court 3 where Fago and Chaplin, playing together for the first time, lost 9-8 (2).
Mississippi State 6, Tennessee 1
1. #94 Artem Ilyushin, MSU, def. #12 John-Patrick Smith, UT, 6-4, 6-4
2. #76 George Coupland, MSU, def. #4 Rhyne Williams, UT, 7-6 (6), 5-6 ret.
3. #48 Tennys Sandgren, UT, def. James Chaudry, MSU, 6-4, 6-2
4. Malte Stropp, MSU, def. #56 Matteo Fago, UT, 6-3, 6-4
5. #77 Louis Cant, MSU, def. #121 Boris Conkic, UT, 7-5, 6-0
6. Zach White, MSU, def. Jarryd Chaplin, UT, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. #1 Boris Conkic/John-Patrick Smith, UT, def. #84 Louis Cant/Malte Stropp, MSU, 8-3
2. George Coupland/Artem Ilyushin, MSU, def. #61 Tennys Sandgren/Rhyne Williams, UT, 8-3
3. James Chaudry/Zach White, MSU, def. Matteo Fago/Jarryd Chaplin, UT, 9-8 (2)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,5,1,4,2,6).