April 16, 2005
The Tennessee men's tennis team fell to No. 10-ranked Georgia 6-1 Saturday at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex to finish 6-5 in the SEC. The Vols record places it in a third-place tie with South Carolina and Kentucky in the Southeastern Conference's Eastern Division.
"Georgia defended its home court well against us today," acting head coach Chris Mahony said."It was a tough loss but we will look to come back down to Athens in two to three days time and get some wins in the SEC tournament."
The Vols lost the doubles point for only the third time in SEC competition. UT has lost all three of those matches, and are 0-5 this year overall when they lose the doubles point. Mark Dietrich and Morgan Wilson defeated a ranked doubles opponent for the first time this season when the UT duo defeated No. 47-ranked Strahinja Bobusic and Colin Purcell 8-5 for their third straight victory at No. 2 doubles.
Wilson gave Tennessee its only point of the match with his defeat of Purcell at No. 4 singles. The Australia native defeated the Georgia junior 6-3, 6-1 to even the score at 1-1. Wilson, after starting the SEC season slowly, has won two of his last three SEC matches.
Georgia would run off the next five matches though to regain control of the match. The Bulldog's line-up boasted four ranked players and every ranked Bulldog provided a victory. John Isner, ranked No. 12, defeated UT senior Mark Dietrich 6-2, 6-4 to put the Bulldogs in front for good. Ricardo Gonzalez, ranked No. 114, defeated freshman Kaden Hensel 6-3, 6-2 to extend the lead to 3-1. Antonio Ruiz, ranked No. 68, clinched the match for Georgia with his come-from-behind win over Bobby Cameron 3-6, 6-1, 6-2. Matic Omerzel, ranked No. 69, would also win in the decisive third set to get past UT's Ockie Oosthuizen 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.
The Volunteers return to the Dan Magill Tennis Complex next week to compete in the SEC tournament. The Vols will face a SEC West opponent in the first round on Thursday. Live stats from all Tennessee SEC tournament matches can be found on UTsports.com
No. 10 Georgia 6 No. 23 Tennessee 1
1. No. 12 John Isner (UGA) def. No. 54 Mark Dietrich (UT) 6-2, 6-4
2. No. 68 Antonio Ruiz (UGA) def. Bobby Cameron (UT) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. No. 69 Matic Omerzel (UGA) def. Ockie Oosthuizen (UT) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
4. Morgan Wilson (UT) def. Colin Purcell (UGA) 6-3, 6-1
5. Strahinja Bobusic (UGA) def. Kiril Tcherveniachki (UT) 7-6, 6-4
6. No. 114 Ricardo Gonzalez def. Kaden Hensel (UT) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4,1,6,2*,3,5
1. No. 2 Isner/Ruiz (UGA) def. No. 6 Oosthuizen/Rogers (UT) 8-3
2. Dietrich/Wilson (UT) def. No. 47 Bobusic/Purcell (UGA) 8-4
3. Gonzalez/Omerzel (UGA) def. Cameron/Hensel (UT) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,2,3