April 17, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The 18th-ranked Tennessee Volunteers rallied in singles but could not erase an early deficit Thursday in a 4-2 loss to Mississippi in their first match at the SEC Championships.
Ole Miss (15-12) won the doubles point and then took four of six first sets before the Vols (17-10) started pushing back. Juniors Mikelis Libietis and Andrew Dromsky won in straight sets on courts 2 and 3 to give the Vols a 2-1 lead.
The Rebels responded a few minutes later with a couple of straight set victories to take a 3-2 lead. Johan Backstrom beat Brandon Fickey on court 4 and 18th-ranked Nik Scholtz came out on top in a long tiebreaker to take the match 6-1, 7-6 (8) on court 1.
Chaplin had to push late in the second set to win in a tiebreaker 7-6 (6). He couldn't keep the momentum in the final set with Stefan Lindmark winning the deciding match 6-3, 6-7 (4), 6-0.
Sawicki was up 4-2 in the third set when play ended.
Tennessee lost to Ole Miss 4-1 during the regular season, winning the doubles point and losing four singles matches.
The Vols next play in the opening rounds of the NCAA Championships from May 9-10.
Ole Miss 4, Tennessee 2
1. #18 Nik Scholtz (UM) def. #27 Hunter Reese (UT) 6-1, 7-6 (10-8)
2. #37 Mikelis Libietis (UT) def. William Kallberg (UM) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
3. Stefan Lindmark (UM) def. Jarryd Chaplin (UT) 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-0
4. Johan Backstrom (UM) def. Brandon Fickey (UT) 6-4, 6-3
5. Andrew Dromsky (UT) def. Ricardo Jorge (UM) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
6. Bartosz Sawicki (UT) vs. Vinod Gowda (UM) 5-7, 6-3, 4-2, unfinished
1. #51 William Kallberg/Stefan Lindmark (UM) def. #1 Mikelis Libietis/Hunter Reese (UT) 8-5
2. Jarryd Chaplin/Andrew Dromsky (UT) def. Nik Scholtz/Ricardo Jorge (UM) 8-3
3. Johan Backstrom/Joe Rogers (UM) def. Brandon Fickey/Bartosz Sawicki (UT) 8-7 (9-7)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,5,4,1,3)