April 21, 2005
The No. 5-seed Tennessee men's tennis team defeated the No. 12-seed Alabama Crimson Tide 4-2 Thursday to advance to the quarterfinals at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex and end its two year first round losing streak at the SEC tournament.
The Volunteers captured the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. The combo of Mark Dietrich and Morgan Wilson won its fourth straight match with an 8-4 win over the Crimson Tide's Javier Bes and Sammy Struyf. UT's No. 11-ranked tandem of Ockie Oosthuizen and Ben Rogers got back to its winning ways with a 9-8 victory over Luigi D'Agord and Eric Molnar to give the Vols a 1-0 lead heading into singles competition.
After Alabama tied the match at one, freshman Kaden Hensel put the Vols back in the lead with his straight sets win at No. 5 singles over Struyf 6-4, 6-2.
Oosthuizen gave the Vols a 3-1 lead with his straight sets win over Molnar 6-4, 7-6. Oosthuizen now has a team leading eight victories this spring against SEC opponents
Jung helped the Crimson Tide fight off elimination by coming back to defeat Dietrich 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 at No. 1 singles.
The match would come down to Kiril Tcherveniachki's match versus Billy Mertz at No. 5 singles. Tcherveniachki had two things to overcome, his loss earlier this season to Mertz and his 0-11 record in tiebreakers this season. The UT sophomore would get out of the gates slowly against Mertz as Mertz raced to a 3-0 lead but Tcherveniachki would come back and win the first set 7-6, his first victory in a tiebreaker this season. The second set would also go to a tiebreaker and once again Tcherveniachki would prevail to clinch the victory for Tennessee.
Wilson's match versus Bes was tied one set apiece when the match was clinched for UT.
The Vols will play South Carolina Friday at noon. The Gamecocks defeated the Vols 6-1 April 1 in Columbia. Live stats for the match will be available at UTsports.com.
No. 26 Tennessee 4 No. 60 Alabama 2
1. No. 73 Joseph Jung (UA) def. Mark Dietrich (UT) 2-6, 6-3, 7-6
2. No. 62 Luigi D'Agord (UA) def. Bobby Cameron (UT) 6-3, 7-5
3. Ockie Oosthuizen (UT) def. Eric Molnar (UA) 6-4, 7-6
4. Morgan Wilson (UT) tied Javier Bes (UA) 4-6, 7-5, match stopped
5. Kiril Tcherveniachki (UT) def. Billy Mertz (UA) 7-6, 7-6
6. Kaden Hensel (UT) def. Sammy Struyf (UA) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,6,3,1, 5*
1. No. 11 Oosthuizen/Rogers (UT) def. D'Agord/Molnar (UA) 9-8
2. Dietrich/Wilson (UT) def. Bes/Struyf (UA) 8-4
3. Cameron/Hensel (UT) def. Felsenthal/Jung (UA) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,1,3