Jan. 19, 2012
- Like 2010, the Vols are starting the season with an afternoon/evening doubleheader playing Memphis at 1 p.m. and Eastern Kentucky at 6 p.m. Two years ago, Tennessee played ETSU and Chattanooga to begin the schedule.
- Sam Winterbotham is in his sixth year as head coach. He has a 118-26 record, including a 67-5 mark at home. He is 18-0 against in-state opponents.
- The Vols have won their last 13 season-opening matches, 5-0 with Winterbotham as coach.
- Tennessee last faced Memphis in 2007, earning the 7-0 sweep. Tennessee leads the Tigers in the all-time series 9-0. The Vols have not faced Eastern Kentucky since 1989 and are ahead in the series 6-0.
- The Vols are coming off another banner year, going 24-5 and winning back-to-back SEC titles for the first time in program history. The team reached the NCAA quarterfinals and finished fourth in the final rankings.
- Memphis Connection: Matt Brewer, who played for the Vols 2008-10 and was part of the 2010 NCAA final team, started his college career as a Tiger in his hometown.
- As many as five freshmen could play their first career dual match for the Vols on Friday. Tennessee regularly started four freshmen in the singles lineup in 2008.
- Freshmen Peter Nagovnak and Hunter Reese will both enter their first matches as nationally ranked players. Nagovnak is No. 117 and Reese is No. 119. Reese and Mikelis Libietis are No. 33 in doubles.