March 28, 2012
Now midway through the SEC season, the Tennessee Volunteers return home for weekend matches against Vanderbilt and Kentucky.
The match against ninth-ranked Kentucky on Sunday at 1 p.m. will be a USTA Campus Kids' Day. The following opportunities will be available for young fans ages 12 and under:
First 50 kids receive a Tennessee tennis T-shirt and an autographed team poster
First 50 kids also receive free pizza and refreshments
Face painting, poster making and chalk art
Additionally, the first 75 fans of any age will receive a free Tennessee tennis water bottle.
JONES CONTINUES ROLL OUTDOORS
Junior Edward Jones, the Vols' lone returning starter from last season, has become the most consistent performer for Tennessee once the team took to the outdoor courts.
Jones won two more SEC matches last week in straight sets against LSU and Arkansas to improve to 9-1 since Feb. 25. He has even logged his first top-50 victory, beating No. 41 George Coupland 6-3, 6-4.
The Carmarthen, Wales, native is now 5-1 in SEC play on court 5 and has already matched his conference singles win total as a sophomore. He went 5-4 on court 6 in his first year in the lineup.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
The Vols (11-9, 3-3 SEC) return home riding a three-match winning streak. Tennessee evened its conference record with a 4-3 victory at home against LSU and a 5-2 win on the road at Arkansas.
The middle of the Tennessee lineup held strong through both matches. Jones went undefeated at No. 5, and sophomore Jarryd Chaplin did the same at No. 4, providing the clinching win against LSU with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 victory against Stefan Szacinski.
The Vols also got its first SEC wins of the year on courts 2 and 6 at Arkansas. Freshman Hunter Reese beat George Lehmann 6-2, 6-2 on No. 2, and senior Bryan Swartz won his career debut in the SEC lineup with a 6-3, 6-3 win against Jovan Parlic.
THE LONE SENIOR
What a season it has been for senior Bryan Swartz. After spending the last two years out of the lineup, Swartz has found his role in both lineups as his final season has progressed.
Swartz has played on court 3 in doubles since the start of the outdoor season with both Jones and most recently freshman Brandon Fickey. He entered the singles lineup for the third time this season Sunday, getting the win at Arkansas.
The senior from Sarasota, Fla., has enjoyed his best season on the singles court. He started the year by winning five matches on his way to his first career collegiate title in the second flight of the Tennessee Fall Invitational. His is now 12-4.
WILLIAMS NAMED PRACTICE PARTNER FOR DAVIS CUP
Former Vol Rhyne Williams will be traveling with the U.S. Davis Cup team to France next week, Colette Lewis of Zootennis.com reported Tuesday.
Williams, former Texas A&M standout Austin Krajicek and 19-year-old Denis Kudla will serve as practice partners as the American squad faces France on the clay courts of Monaco in the World Group quarterfinals April 6-8.
The four-man U.S. team is similar to the one that defeated Switzerland on the road in the first round of Davis Cup: world No. 8 Mardy Fish, No. 10 John Isner and the top-ranked doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan.
Williams has already put together an impressive start to 2012. He became the first Vol since Chris Woodruff in 2001 to reach the main draw of an ATP Masters 1000 event when he qualified for the BNP Paribas Open earlier this month in Indian Wells, Calif. He is currently ranked No. 368, a career best.
LAST TIME AGAINST VANDERBILT
Tennessee 4, Vanderbilt 3
March 13, 2011
1. #36 Ryan Lipman (VU) def. #3 Rhyne Williams (UT) 3-6, 7-6(1), 7-5
2. #35 Tennys Sandgren (UT) def. Adam Baker (VU) 6-3, 7-5
3. #41 Matteo Fago (UT) def. Charlie Jones (VU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Bryant Salcedo (VU) def. Edward Jones (UT) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jarryd Chaplin (UT) def. Blake Bazarnik (VU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
6. Alex Zotov (VU) def. Taylor Patrick (UT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. #55 Williams/Sandgren (UT) def. #49 Lipman/Baker (VU), 8-6
2. Jones/Zotov (VU) def. Smith/Chaplin (UT), 8-6
3. #52 Jones/Fago (UT) def. Bazarnik/Salcedo (VU), 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles: 4,2,5,6,3,1
LAST TIME AGAINST KENTUCKY
Tennessee 4, Kentucky 2
March 11, 2011
1. #13 John-Patrick Smith (UT) def. #5 Eric Quigley (UK) 6-7 (1), 7-6 (15), 6-4
2. #3 Rhyne Williams (UT) def. #57 Alex Musialek (UK) 6-4, 7-5
3. #35 Tennys Sandgren (UT) def. Brad Cox (UK) 6-3, 6-4
4. #41 Matthew Fago (UT) def. #86 Alberto Gonzalez (UK) 6-4, 6-4
5. Anthony Rossi (UK) vs. #113 Boris Conkic (UT) 6-3, 4-3 DNF
6. Tom Jomby (UK) def. Edward Jones (UT) 6-1, 7-5
1. #1 Smith/Conkic (UT) def. Quilgey/Cox (UK) 9-8 (3)
2. Gonzalez/Jomby (UK) def. #55 Williams/Sandgren (UT) 8-6
3. Rossi/Musialek (UK) def. #52 Jones/Fago (UT) 8-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,4,2,6,1)