March 30, 2014
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- The Tennessee Volunteers lost to No. 12 Texas A&M 4-0 on Sunday in its first match in College Station since 2009.
The hosts jumped out to a 1-0 lead after clinching the doubles point on courts two and three. From there, the Vols (13-9, 2-6 SEC) won just one of six first sets in singles before the pieces fell into place for Texas A&M
In doubles, Andrew Dromsky and Markus Kerner dropped an 8-3 set to No. 55 Harrison Adams and Shane Vinsant on court 3, but the doubles point tightened up after that. Jarryd Chaplin and Brandon Fickey got back on serve late but fell to No. 44 Jeremy Efferding and Jordan Szabo, 8-6 on court 2.
Texas A&M carried its momentum into the singles play. Chaplin conceded the first singles point, dropping in straight sets to Junior Ore on court 4 6-3, 6-4 to Junior Ore. Markus Kerner lost a few seconds later on court five, 6-2, 6-3 to Jackson Withrow.
Brandon Fickey fought to extend the match on court 3. He had break points but Jeremy Efferding eventually served out the match 6-1, 6-4 to give the Aggies a 4-0 victory.
UT will return home Friday afternoon for a 2 p.m. match against LSU to try to turn around the SEC season. There are four matches left in the regular season.
Texas A&M 4, Tennessee 0
1. No. 20 Hunter Reese (UT) v. No. 13 Harrison Adams (TAMU), 4-6, 2-2 dnf
2. Mo. 38 Mikelis Libietis (UT) v. No. 26 Shane Vinsant (TAMU), 7-6 (4), 1-2 dnf
3. No. 52 Jeremy Efferding (TAMU) def. Brandon Fickey (UT), 6-1, 6-4
4. Junior Ore (TAMU) def. Jarryd Chaplin (UT), 6-3, 6-4
5. Jackson Withrow (TAMU) def. Markus Kerner (UT),6-2, 6-3
6. Andrew Dromsky (UT) v. Jordan Szabo (TAMU), 6-7 (5), 2-2 dnf
1. No. 1 Reese/Libietis (UT) v. No. 2 Ore/Withrow (TAMU), 7-7 dnf
2. No. 44 Efferding/Szabo (TAMU) def. Fickey/Chaplin (UT), 8-6
3. No. 55 Adams/Vinsant (TAMU) def. Dromsky/Kerner (UT), 8-3