Sept. 18, 2013
Thursday, Sept. 19
Friday, Sept. 20
Saturday, Sept. 21
Sunday, Sept. 21
Doubles: Jarryd Chaplin/Markus Kerner, Brandon Fickey/Sean Karl, Hunter Reese/Sunay Bhat
About the Tournament: The SEC Fall Classic marks the return of the individual conference championships that used to be an indoor event. The tournament features all 13 SEC schools.
- This weekend's tournament marks the return of the unofficial conference individual championships
- It replaces the SEC Coaches Indoor Championships that used to be in January. The tournament has not been held since January 2012. Tennessee has not competed in it since 2011.
- Three Vols are making their season debuts: Hunter Reese, Brandon Fickey and Jarryd Chaplin. The freshmen played their first matches last weekend.
- Reese is seeded third in singles. Fickey is a 9-16 seed.
BIG MIKE & THE DAVIS CUP
- Mikelis Libietis returned to Latvia last week to represent his country in a Davis Cup tie against Finland. Latvia won 3-2
- Libietis teamed up with world No. 36 Ernests Gulbis for a straight-set doubles win.
- On day 1, Libietis lost his singles match in 4 sets
- Libietis is one of 10 Vols to ever play Davis Cup. Freshman Markus Kerner has played in two ties for Estonia.
- Mikelis Libietis was the star of the summer. He won his first Futures singles title and picked up two doubles titles in a four-week span.
- One doubles title came with Kerner in Estonia
- Most of the Vols trained on campus or at home
- Hunter Reese spent the summer rehabbing a broken right wrist, an injury he actually played with during the NCAA tournament
- After being diagnosed with cancer less than a year ago, Sean Karl is already back on the tennis courts competing last week with the Vols' two other freshmen and senior Colton Norton at the Southern Intercollegiate Championships in Athens, Ga.
- Made his career last week at the Southern Intercollegiate Championships in Athens, Ga. (went 1-1 in doubles, 0-2 in singles)
- Markus Kerner and Sunay Bhat both made their career debuts and won their first singles matches in consolation