Jan. 19, 2012
5:30 p.m. CT Fri./11 a.m. CT Sat.
- UT will compete in Alabama's newest sports venue, the Birmingham CrossPlex, with the men's and women's weight throws at 5:30 p.m. CT on Friday and all other events on Saturday, starting at 11 a.m. CT.
- Tennessee will make what is believed to be its first indoor track appearance in Alabama since 1979, when the last SEC Indoor Championship meet was hosted in the state at Montgomery's Garrett Coliseum.
- Among the teams expected to be on hand for the meet are Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Mississippi, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Tennessee and UCF.
- The $46 million Birmingham CrossPlex features seating for 4,000 and has seven VIP suites from which to view events on the six-lane hydraulic oval and eight-lane, 60-meter straightaway, which both feature Mondo surfaces.
Noting The Big Orange
- Returning Indoor All-Americans
- Returning NCAA Indoor Scorers
- Returning SEC Indoor Champions
- Other Returning SEC Indoor Scorers
- Key Losses
Solid Start At Kentucky Invitational
* Tennessee opened up at the Kentucky Invitational on Jan. 13-14, picking up five event victories.
* The Vols posted three wins, including redshirt freshman Matthew Hoty in the shot put (58-7 1/2), sophomore Chase Brannon in the pole vault (17-5 1/2) and junior Desmond Brown in the long jump (24-4 1/4).
* Freshman Tyler Anderson was the runner-up to Brown in the long jump (23-2), while freshman Jamol James (6.78, 60m), sophomore Tyler Porter (16-5 1/2, pole vault), junior Chris Bodary (4:10.93, mile), senior Varick Tucker (48.16, 400m) and UT's 4x400m relay unit of Michael Williams, Jarael Nelvis, Brown and Reggie Juin (3:16.50) posted third-place outcomes.
* Lady Vol victors included senior Annie Alexander in the shot put (52-9 1/4) and junior Nijgia Snapp in the 800 meters (2:08.55).
* Lady Vol junior Jessie Harrison posted a runner-up effort in the weight throw with a toss of 59-2, while senior Chanelle Price crossed the line third in the mile run at 4:47.47.
Nijgia Snapp Named SEC Women's Runner of the Week
* A 2:08.55 effort in the 800 meters earned Nijgia Snapp a victory at the Kentucky Invitational and the nod as the Jan. 17 SEC Women's Runner of the Week.
* Snapp's time ranks her No. 1 in the SEC and NCAA through the weekend's slate of competitions.
* The win at UK was Snapp's first career triumph in the 800 as a Lady Vol after four runner-up efforts, including one at last year's Kentucky Invitational.
UT Freshman Indoor Record In Men's Shot Put For Matthew Hoty
* Matthew Hoty's first meet as a Vol saw him produce a UT indoor freshman record in the shot put. His victorious throw of 58-7 1/2 at the Kentucky Invitational surpassed Chip Kell's 1968 mark of 58-7.
* That mark ranks Hoty second in the SEC this week and 15th nationally, and he stands at No. 12 on UT's all-time indoor performers list in that event.
January Roster Additions Look To Aid Vols
* UT added a pair of freshmen sprinters to the roster for the spring semester. Jamol James and Michael Williams are eligible and began competition at the Kentucky Invitational.
* James was a national team member for Trinidad & Tobago, while Williams gave up a football scholarship to Maryland to join the team at Tennessee.
* James was third in the 60m in 6.78 at Kentucky, while Williams ran the 60mH, 400m and 4x4 for UT. Both look to impact a number of UT relays this season.
Tennessee At A Glance
* Martinique Octave - Women's 4x400mR (2nd team)
* Chanelle Price - Women's 800m (1st team), DMR (1st team)
* Kianna Ruff - Women's 4x400mR (2nd team)
* Brittany Sheffey - Women's DMR (1st team)
* Nijgia Snapp - Women's DMR (1st team), 4x400mR (2nd team)
* Ellen Wortham - Women's Pentathlon (1st team), DMR (1st team), 4x400mR (2nd team)
* 8. Justin Hunter - Men's Long Jump [injured/expected to miss 2012 season]
* 8. Ellen Wortham - Women's Pentathlon
* 8. DMR - Chanelle Price/Ellen Wortham/Nijgia Snapp/Brittany Sheffey
* Chanelle Price - Women's 800m, DMR
* Brittany Sheffey - Women's DMR
* 3. Brittany Sheffey - Women's Mile
* 3. Ellen Wortham - Women's Pentathlon
* 5. Justin Hunter - Men's Long Jump [injured/expected to miss 2012 season]
* 5. Nijgia Snapp - Women's 800m
* 5. Women's 4x400mR - Wortham/Octave/Snapp/Ruff are back
* 6. Joe Franklin - Men's 800m
* 6. Kianna Ruff - Women's 800m
* 6. Ellen Wortham - Women's High Jump
* 6. Jessie Harrison - Women's Weight Throw
* 7. Chris Bodary - Men's 5000m
* 7. Robert Rasnick - Men's Pole Vault
* 7. Men's 4x400mR - Deaundra Dailey/Jarael Nelvis/Varick Tucker are back
* 8. Terry Benson - Men's 60m Hurdles
* 8. Chase Brannon - Men's Pole Vault
* 8. Aslynn Halvorson - Women's Shot Put
* 8. Kia Jackson - Women's Long Jump
* Liz Costello - Women's Distances (2011 SEC Indoor 5000m champ; 2011 SEC Outdoor 5000m, 10000m champ; All-American, SEC Indoor Co-High Point Scorer)
* Dentarius Locke - Men's Sprints (2011 NCAA Indoor All-American in 60m; 2011 NCAA Outdoor All-American in 100m, 200m; 2nd, SEC Outdoor 100m; 3rd, SEC Outdoor 200m; SEC Outdoor Freshman Runner of the Year)
* Peter Sigilai - Men's Middle Distances (2nd, SEC Indoor DMR; 3rd, SEC Indoor 800m) * Michael Spooner - Men's Distances (4th, SEC Outdoor 10000m, 8th, SEC Outdoor Steeplechase)