Jan. 8, 2009
- Today's starters: Briana Bass, Angie Bjorklund, Glory Johnson, Shekinna Stricklen and Alex Fuller.
- Sophomore Vicki Baugh did not play after spraining her left knee in practice on Jan. 1. Redshirt-sophomore Cait
- McMahan did not play with sore knees.
- Four Lady Vols finished in double-figures: Stricklen (18), Johnson (14), Manning (13) and Fuller (10).
- UT went on a 12-2 run from 5:21 to 2:04, with the score going from tied at 20 apiece to a 32-22 UT lead.
- The Lady Vols largest lead of the first half was 10 at 2:31. UK's largest lead was two at 15:18
- Tennessee led at the half for the 12th time this season, 35-27.
- UK opened the second half with a 12-2 run, taking a 39-37 lead on a Carly Morrow jumper at 16:43 to go.
- After the Wildcats grabbed a 47-44 lead at 12:59, the UT defense held them without a field goal until the 9:33 mark.
- Over the 3:26, UT went on a 6-0 run to go up 50-47.
- Tennessee outrebounded the Wildcats, 43-30, the 12th time they have won the battle of the boards this season.
- Tonight's game saw 10 ties and 14 lead changes.
- Tonight's attendance of 12,640 was the sixth largest at home this season and the eighth time a crowd of at least 10,000 has been on hand.
- The Lady Vols have made a three-pointer for the 354th consecutive game.
- Tennessee last lost to an unranked team on Feb. 26, 2006, when the Florida Gators claimed a 95-93 overtime victory at Thompson-Boling Arena over the No. 5/5-ranked Lady Vols.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 26.2 free throws per game, making 67.7 percent. Tonight they shot 25, making 19.
The win tonight...
- Improves Tennessee's record against Kentucky to 44-6 and 20-2 in Knoxville.
- Improves UT to 399-59 all-time against the Southeastern Conference and 266-34 in league play.
- Gives UT a 25-5 record in SEC-opening games. The Lady Vols are 13-2 in league openers at home.
- Moves Tennessee's record at Thompson-Boling Arena to 301-19.
- The Lady Vols are now 7-1 at home in 2008-09 and have won five straight overall.
- The Lady Vols have won six straight at home.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 995-184 (.844) all time, just five wins from 1,000.
- The No. 7/11-ranked Lady Vols head to Nashville for a match-up with No. 24/24-ranked Vanderbilt on Sunday. Tip time is set for 3 p.m. ET, with CSS airing the game. UT is 52-6 all-time against the Commodores.
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- Had the first basket of the night - a layup at the 19:29 mark off an assist from Shekinna Stricklen
- Finished with 14 points, the 11th time this season she has been in double digits, but the first since scoring 11 at Old Dominion on Dec. 18
- Made her first six free throws tonight and finished 6-of-7 from the charity stripe
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Finished with 18 points - the 11th time this season she has been in double digits and the fourth straight game
- Made her first eight free throws and was 8-of-8 from the free throw line
Freshman Alicia Manning:
- Her three-pointer at the 15:25 point gave UT a 42-41 lead
- Scored a season-high 13 points on 4-of-6 shooting, including 3-of-3 from three-point range
- It was the first time this season she has scored in double digits
- Named Lady Vol Player of the Game
Sophomore Angie Bjorklund:
- Her first field goal, a jumper at the 16:21 mark of the second half tied the game at 39 apiece
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Her layup off an offensive rebound at 3:19 remaining gave UT a 59-58 lead, which UT would not surrender
- Scored in double digits for the second time this season and the 17th time in her career