Jan. 11, 2009
Game Notes: Vanderbilt vs. Tennessee
- Today's starters: Alicia Manning, Shekinna Stricklen, Angie Bjorklund, Alex Fuller, Glory Johnson
- Sophomore Vicki Baugh did not play after spraining her left knee in practice on Jan. 1.
- Redshirt-sophomore Cait McMahan has decided to not play the rest of the season, accepting a role as a student assistant coach and will remain on the sidelines.
- Senior Alex Fuller was the only Lady Vol to finish in double figures with 12 points.
- Tennessee's largest lead of the first half was six at 9:58. It's largest deficit was the eight point margin at the break.
- The Lady Vols trailed at the half for only the second time this season.
- UT was held without a field goal for the last 4:40 of the first half. In that span, the score went from a four point UT lead (23-19) to an eight point VU lead (31-23).
- After UT got the first bucket of the second half, Vanderbilt went on a 7-0 run to extend its lead to 38-25 with 17:28 remaining.
- This is the first time Vanderbilt Head Coach Melanie Balcomb has defeated Tennessee since coming to Vanderbilt.
- Tennessee was outrebounded for the second time this season, 39-37.
- The Lady Vols made a three-pointer for the 355th consecutive game.
- Tennessee last lost at Vanderbilt on Feb. 2, 2002, when the No. 8-ranked Commodores beat the No. 2-ranked Lady Vols 76-59.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 26.1 free throws per game, making 68.3 percent. This afternoon they shot 10, making six.
The loss today...
- Drops UT's record to 2-3 against ranked opponents this season and 1-2 in ranked match-ups on the road.
- All-time Tennessee is 400-153 against ranked teams and 114-70 on the road.
- Ends the Lady Vols 16-game winning streak against the Commodores.
- Moves Tennessee's record against Vanderbilt to 52-7 and 21-5 in Nashville.
- Drops UT to 399-60 all-time against the Southeastern Conference and 266-35 in league play.
- The Lady Vols are now 5-2 on the road in 2008-09.
- Ends a five-game winning streak and three consecutive road-game winning streak.
- Gives UT a 7-3 record in TV games in 2008-09.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 995-185 (.843) all time, just five wins from 1,000.
- The Lady Vols travel to Starkville, Miss., on Jan. 15 to face the Mississippi State Lady Bulldogs (12-3, 0-1 SEC) in a 7 p.m. CT game to be aired on CSS.
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- Had the first Lady Vol basket of the game - a driving layup at the 18:04 mark of the first half
Freshman Alicia Manning:
- Made her first career start after having a career-high 13 points, six boards and two assists against Kentucky
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Her jumper at the 6:15 mark of the first half ended an 8-0 Vandy run and a 3:42 UT field goal drought
- That basket also put Fuller over the 600 career point mark - she now has 609 career points