Jan. 22, 2009
Game Notes: Arkansas vs. Tennessee
- Today's starters: Briana Bass, Shekinna Stricklen, Angie Bjorklund, Alex Fuller, Glory Johnson.
- Redshirt-sophomore Cait McMahan has decided to not play the rest of the season, accepting a role as a student assistant coach and will remain on the sidelines.
- Redshirt-freshman Kelley Cain did not play after re-aggravating her right knee in the win at Mississippi State.
- With McMahan having decided to not play the rest of the season, Fuller has chosen to honor her teammate by wearing No. 2.
- Three Lady Vols finished in double-figures: Bjorklund (18), Johnson (15) and Stricklen (11)
- Tennessee held Arkansas without a field goal for the first 4:18 of the game.
- Held the Razorbacks without a field goal from the 9:05 mark of the first half to the 2:56 point, building a 26-19 lead.
- Tennessee was tied at the half for the second time this season - the other was on Dec. 14 at Texas (31-31).
- UT went on a 11-0 run from the 8:33 mark to the 1:42 mark of the second half, with the score going from a 59-57 Arkansas lead to a 68-59 Lady Vol lead.
- Tennessee last lost to an unranked team on Feb. 26, 2006, when the Florida Gators downed the fifth-ranked Lady Vols 95-93 in overtime at Thompson-Boling Arena.
- The Lady Vols made a three-pointer for the 358th consecutive game.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 24.6 free throws per game, making 68.2 percent. Tonight they shot 27, making 19.
- The University of Tennessee would like to congratulate the University of Arkansas on welcoming its One-Millionth Fan today. On Feb. 14, 1998, the Lady Vols welcomed Wanda Douglas of Sevierville, Tenn., as its "Three-Millionth Fan". Next season, Tennessee should see its Four-Millionth Fan come through the turnstiles.
The win tonight...
- Extends the Lady Vols winning streak to 15 games against the Razorbacks. The last loss to Arkansas came in Fayetteville on Dec. 29, 1996, when the No. 22 Lady'Backs downed the No. 6 Lady Vols, 77-75.
- Gives Pat Summitt a 598-32 record in games against unranked teams.
- Improves the Lady Vols record to 20-1 against Arkansas and 9-1 in Fayetteville.
- Moves UT to 402-60 all-time against the Southeastern Conference and 269-35 in league play.
- The Lady Vols are now 7-2 on the road in 2008-09.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 998-185 (.843) all time, just two wins from 1,000.
- The Lady Vols stay on the road for a showdown at No. 6/5-ranked Auburn on Sunday afternoon. The matinee match-up will tip off at 2 p.m. and will be aired on CSS.
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Had the first basket of the game - a three-pointer at the 19:48 mark of the first half
- Is a perfect 19-of-19 from the free throw line in four SEC games
Sophomore Vicki Baugh:
- Came out of the game at the 14:09 mark of the first half and did not return
Sophomore Angie Bjorklund:
- Needs just nine three-pointers to move into a tie for No. 10 on Tennessee's career three-pointers made list. Tasha Butts and Jody Adams are currently number 10 with 103 three-pointers.
- Named Lady Vol Player of the Game
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Will wear No. 2 for the rest of the season in honor of teammate Cait McMahan, who has decided to take on a student assistant role for the rest of the season