Jan. 29, 2009
Game Notes: Ole Miss vs. Tennessee
- Today's starters: Angie Bjorklund, Alex Fuller, Glory Johnson, Alicia Manning and Shekinna Stricklen.
- Redshirt-sophomore Cait McMahan has decided to not play the rest of the season, accepting a role as a student assistant coach and will remain on the sidelines.
- With McMahan having decided to not play the rest of the season, Fuller has chosen to honor her teammate by wearing No. 2.
- Sophomore Vicki Baugh did not play while resting her knee that she sprained in a Jan. 1 practice.
- Two Lady Vols scored in double figures: Bjorklund (13) and Fuller (11)
- It is Fuller's first career double-double.
- Tennessee held Ole Miss without a point for the first 4:20 of the game.
- Ole Miss went on an 11-0 run from the 12:34 point of the first half until the 6:22 mark. In that span, a 12-3 UT lead turned into a 14-12 Rebel advantage.
- Tennessee's largest lead of the first half was nine at 12:34; its largest deficit was two at 7:26.
- The Lady Vols led at the half for the 15th time this season. UT owns a 14-1 record when enjoying an advantage at the break.
- The 22 first half Rebel points were the fewest UT has allowed in the first 20 minutes this season.
- The 13,283 fans are the fifth largest home crowd this season.
- Angie Bjorklund hit a game-winning three-pointer with just eight seconds left on the clock.
- The Lady Vols made a three-pointer for the 360th consecutive game.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 24.1 free throws per game, making 68.6 percent. Tonight they shot 31, making 16.
- Summitt owns an 11-4 record when going for a milestone win.
The win tonight...
- Extends Tennessee's winning streak to 17 games against the Rebels. The last time Ole Miss beat UT was on Feb. 4, 1996, when the 20th-ranked Lady Rebels downed the third-ranked Lady Vols, 78-72 in Oxford.
- Improves the Lady Vols record to 33-7 against Ole Miss and 15-2 in Knoxville.
- Gives UT a 10-4 record in TV games this season, including a 2-0 mark on the ESPN family of networks.
- Moves UT to 403-61 all-time against the Southeastern Conference and 275-36 in league play.
- The Lady Vols are now 9-1 at home in 2008-09.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 999-186 (.843) all time, just one win from 1,000.
- The Lady Vols are back on the road for a Big Monday contest against No. 2/2-ranked Oklahoma in Oklahoma City on ESPN2. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m. ET on Feb. 2. It will be Summitt's first attempt at career win No. 1,000.
Freshman Shekinna Stricklen:
- Had the first basket of the game - a fastbreak layup off an Alicia Manning pass at the 19:15 mark of the first half
- Had a career-high seven assists
Sophomore Angie Bjorklund:
- Needs just five three-pointers to move into a tie for No. 10 on Tennessee's career three-pointers made list. Tasha Butts and Jody Adams are currently number 10 with 103 three-pointers.
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Had her first career double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds.
- Will wear No. 2 for the rest of the season in honor of teammate Cait McMahan, who has decided to take on a student assistant role for the rest of the season