Feb. 16, 2009
Game Notes: Duke at Tennessee
- Today's starters: Angie Bjorklund, Kelley Cain, Alex Fuller, Alicia Manning and Shekinna Stricklen.
- Redshirt-sophomore Cait McMahan has decided to not play the rest of the season, accepting a role as a student assistant coach and will remain on the sidelines.
- With McMahan having decided to not play the rest of the season, Fuller has chosen to honor her teammate by wearing No. 2.
- Tonight is Tennessee's home game as part of the WBCA Pink Zone. Thursday's game at Kentucky will also be a part of the initiative.
- The Lady Vols moved up to No. 13 in the Associated Press poll today.
- This was the final regular-season game scheduled with the Blue Devils.
- Two Lady Vols scored in double digits: Bass (14) and Cain (10).
- Tennessee did not score until a Glory Johnson free throw at the 16:39 mark of the first half.
- The Lady Vols began the game 1-8 from the field and went 4:37 (16:39 to 12:02) without a field goal in the first half, allowing Duke to build a 12-3 lead.
- UT went 3:33 (9:07 to 5:34) without a point, falling behind 20-10, but responded with an 8-1 run, to get within 21-18.
- Briana Bass tied the game for the first time on a three-pointer with 2:08 remaining in the first half.
- Tennessee trailed at the half for the fifth time this season. In those games, UT is 1-4.
- UT opened with five straight points to tie the score at 28 apiece at the 16:57 mark of the second half, but the Blue Devils went on a 16-0 run to the 8:42 point.
- Duke joins Texas and Louisiana Tech as the only two schools to win three consecutive games at Tennessee. Texas did so from 1983-87 and La Tech was from 1982-86.
- The 54 points are a season-low for the Lady Vols.
- Tonight's crowd of 16,990 is the largest home crowd of the season.
- The Lady Vols made a three-pointer for the 365th consecutive game.
- The Lady Vols have shot an average of 22.6 free throws per game, making 66.8 percent. Tonight they shot 25, making 14.
The loss tonight...
- Drops UT to 5-6 in the all-time series with Duke and is 0-3 against the Blue Devils in Knoxville.
- Gives the Lady Vols a 2-7 record against ranked opponents this season.
- Against AP ranked teams, UT is 400-157, including a 175-117 mark against top 10 squads.
- Ends the Lady Vols home winning streak at 10 games. UT is 11-2 at home this season.
- Gives UT a 12-7 record in TV games this season.
- Head Coach Pat Summitt's career record now stands at 1,001-189 (.842) all time.
- The Lady Vols are back on the road and Southeastern Conference play as they travel to Lexington to face the Kentucky Wildcats on Thursday, Feb. 19. The game will be a part of the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Pink Zone to support the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Fund. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. on FSN South.
Freshman Glory Johnson:
- Had the first Lady Vol point of the game - a free throw at the 16:39 mark of the first half
Freshman Briana Bass:
- Tied the game for the first time with a three-pointer with 2:08 remaining in the first half
- Finished with a career-high 14 points. It was the third time she has been in double digits this season, but the first since Nov. 25 against Western Carolina.
Senior Alex Fuller:
- Will wear No. 2 for the rest of the season in honor of teammate Cait McMahan, who has decided to take on a student assistant role for the rest of the season